Bring in the cheer! Now more than ever, it is important to express gratitude and cultivate a sense of togetherness with one's loved ones. Here are five ways to celebrate the holidays this year.
1. Drive Through Light Shows
- PNC Bank Arts Center's Magic of Lights show
- Now until Jan. 2, 2021, the PNC Bank Arts Center, located in Holmdel, NJ, will be hosting their annual Magic of Lights drive-thru light show. Families can enjoy a fun light show from the safety of their car. Bring some snacks and hot cocoa for the ride.
- Tickets are available for purchase online at $25 for a standard vehicle or $30 at the gate. Hours are Sunday-Thursday from 5 to 10 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 5 to 11 p.m.
- Six Flags' Holiday in the Park Drive-Thru Experience
- This year, Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson Township, New Jersey will be unveiling their Holiday in the Park Drive-Thru Experience for the first time. Families can enjoy a multitude of unique Christmas light displays from now until Dec. 17.
- Tickets can be purchased online and are $14.99 per person within a vehicle.
- Drive through your local neighborhood
- Students and their families can also enjoy decorative light shows within their local communities.
2. Watch Parties
- Although friends may not be able to come together physically to watch a movie, friends can still enjoy a movie through the use of streaming services and a variety of screen sharing applications. This is a fun, safe way to get together and enjoy a holiday movie without leaving the comfort and safety of one's own home.
3. Arts and Crafts
- Friends and family can enjoy quality time together or virtually through video calls. Friends can add to this experience of togetherness by incorporating arts and crafts activities to their calls. There are a variety of easy, holiday-related craft activities friends and family can do.
- Some crafting ideas might include:
- No-sew blankets
- Christmas wreaths
- DIY ornaments
- Christmas Cards
- and more!
- Friends and family can also enjoy wrapping Christmas presents together as they catch up on a call.
4. Baking Parties
- Friends and family can join video calls and enjoy making Christmas cookies or gingerbread houses together. Many stores have a wide variety of gingerbread house making kits, using a variety of candies and cookie flavors. Students may even opt to purchase a variety of kits to make a gingerbread village.
5. Secret Santa
- Friends can still enjoy Secret Santa traditions through the beauty of online shopping and random name drawing websites.
- Simply find any website that allows you to randomly draw names. Drawnames.com is an example of this service. Drawnames.com allows participants to create a list, set up gift exchange details and create individual wish lists. The website seamlessly sends each participant a randomly chosen name through via email, so friends and family can skip right past needing to pick names out of a hat.
Although this year has changed a lot of things for everyone, it doesn't have to take away the fun of the holiday season. There are still a variety of ways to get "together" and celebrate the holidays to the fullest.