Elf: A Drive-in Cinema Experience

Holiday classic 'Elf' to be screened for drive-in viewers outside Kean Hall

Campus News > Elf: A Drive-in Cinema Experience
Elf: A Drive-in Cinema Experience
Popcorn at the movies, drive-in screening.
Photo courtesy Pexels.com.
John Artenstein, Editor

It's everyone's favorite modern holiday classic: on Friday, Dec. 4, "Elf" will be screened as a drive-in movie experience in the parking lot of Kean Hall. With health and safety always a priority throughout the Kean community, Student Organization of Kean University and the Class of 2021 offer the perfect Friday night getaway for a study break or social outing. The screening will run from 6 to 8 p.m.

"Elf" is a holiday comedy about Buddy, a human raised at the North Pole who journeys to New York to find his real family when he discovers he's not really an elf. It's a spirited, charming adventure that's become a favorite to watch with friends and family of all ages, and it's being shown at the best time of year for it.

In order to assure safety and comfort to all guests, the university's COVID-19 related policies are in effect. In addition to an RSVP through Cougar Link, guests will be required to use the Campus Clear app in advance and show that they have done so when checking in. Campus Clear allows attendees to perform basic self-screening before arriving on campuses to ensure their own safety and that of others.

Further, there is a limit to four guests per vehicle for entry, and all must stay in their cars for the duration of the screening. At least one of these guests must be a Kean University student. The lot will limit attendance to a maximum of 37 vehicles to further ensure contactless social distancing. Guests must RSVP by Thursday, Dec. 3, at 4 p.m. in order to attend. Proper face coverings and social distancing are always a must.

Additionally, guests will be gifted snacks and refreshments (one package per car), and are welcome to bring their own. Other prizes will be given out, too.

During the fall, the university has hosted a series of outdoor, drive-in events to bring the community together safely as it continues to maintain a safe campus and culture amid the pandemic. The popularity of these events goes to show that, with the right precautions in place and a positive spirit for getting the community together, there is every reason to be optimistic about staying involved and connected going forward - and that message couldn't be more welcome near the end of a long semester and at the beginning of the holiday season.

The screening promises to be a night of excitement and escapism. Students should be sure to RSVP before space runs out. With questions or concerns, Student Organization can be reached by email at stuorg@kean.edu and by phone at 908-737-5190.

John Artenstein - web

John Artenstein, Editor
artenstj@kean.edu

John Shepherd is an English major with a concentration in creative writing. He has been a contributing editor for mayhemdotcom, The Odyssey Online, and other publications. John has authored the books Recent Words: A Collection of Poems and Stories and I Hear Your Favorite. He has also penned essays on culture, politics and more than a dozen albums of original alternative music. He is plotting careers in entertainment and publishing as he continues producing works of fiction and non-fiction across a variety of media.