How to Complete FAFSA

What is FAFSA and how to fill it out

Campus Life > How to Complete FAFSA
How to Complete FAFSA
Each student is required to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid for the 2021-2022 academic year. The process is simple and does not take a long time to finish.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

In the fall of every academic year, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens the process for students to determine their eligibility for financial aid which is done through an online form on the Federal Student Aid website.

Having eligibility for financial aid helps students afford tuition costs as attending a university is costly and many expenses such as classes, supplies and housing must be paid for. Through FAFSA, students are able to receive scholarships and grants which is money they do not have to pay back. The university offers a number of resources for students to apply and receive free funding for their college experience.

Most scholarships have minimal requirements as anyone can apply for one. However, there are other scholarships where students will have to meet a specific set of criteria in order to qualify. Scholarship opportunities outside of the university are also acceptable in securing funding for a student's education.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid can be found on this site. Students will be asked whether they are completing the form for the first time or a returning user. Upon beginning the form, either a student or preparer must login into the Federal Student Aid portal with the email and password used to register for the FAFSA form.

After this process is complete, the student or preparer is to answer all the necessary questions the form presents such as their address, date of birth, income and related information.

FSAupdated.png

Anything inputted into the FAFSA form must be accurate and up-to-date. It is recommended for first-time applicants to have a preparer go over the application with them as it is completed.

Upon completing the form, the system will take a few business days to review and approve it. Students and preparers will be notified of their application status through email.

After the FAFSA application is processed, students can go into KeanWISE and go into Financial Aid Self Service for the following:

• submitting the required documents to the university's financial aid office
  • reviewing and signing an award letter
  • checking the review status of an application

Students may also contact the Office of Financial Aid for any questions, comments and concerns about the financial aid process by email at finaid@kean.edu.

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.