Join the Conversation: Student Research Seminar

A discussion led by students and facilitated by professor Lydia Kaplan

Campus Life > Join the Conversation: Student Research Seminar
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will be hosting two student research presentations centered around black representation in movies along with gentrification and redlining.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, Feb. 10, the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will be hosting a student research seminar facilitated by Research & Technology professor Lydia Kaplan M.Ed., along with her two students giving presentations on the historical influence of black representation in film with gentrification and redlining.

The discussion will be held virtually via Zoom from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Students are encouraged to attend and join the conversation. Those that are interested can RSVP and access more information about the event here.

This event is going to be split up into two parts as Kean students Maria Irvin and Elara Trenchfield will be showcasing their student research presentations.

Maria Irvin's research is on the historical influence of black representation in film. Maria is currently a sophomore studying communications with a media and film studies concentration.

In addition to her studies, Maria is also a member of KeanTV where her passion for film and diversity inspired her to contribute research to this project.

Elara Trenchfield will be presenting on the impact of redlining and gentrification. Elara is a forensic psychology major and is a member of the Kean Pan-African Student Union along with the National Society of Leadership and Success.

Aside from her involvement on campus, Elara is also a Lead Mentor and Lab Assistant in the Educational Opportunity & Funding Program at the university. She aspires to become a juvenile offenders counselor someday.

Proud of and ready to support her students, Lydia Kaplan spoke highly of the upcoming event.

"I am always looking for ways that my students can breathe life into their research, even after the semester is long past," said Kaplan. "I keep my eye out for opportunities and contact them if I see something that might be a good fit for a presentation."

Kaplan spoke more on how she was able to get Maria and Elara on for this event.

"They were in separate R&T sections, but their research seemed to align with the proposal to present at the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion's Black History Month event," mentioned Kaplan. "They are the only students who are holding a live seminar, which will include slideshows and a Q & A."

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.