Pushing for a Stronger Kean Community

Learn more about Kean University's new Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

Features > Pushing for a Stronger Kean Community
Pushing for a Stronger Kean Community
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is located in Townsend Conference Suite 116.
Photo courtesy @keandeioffice
Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

First announced in July 2020 by President Lamont Repollet, the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion was created to push for a stronger Kean community. They aim to make Kean University a fair and equitable community through comprehensive and strategic diversity programs. The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is dedicated to supporting and promoting representation and inclusion all throughout the Kean University campus.

The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion offers an opportunity to support a campus-wide agenda that promotes the diversity of all students, faculty, staff and administrators as representatives of our world’s landscapes. 

The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion also establishes, implements and advances academic and administrative policies and practices that reflect Kean’s commitment to their goal to prepare each Kean graduate to not only thrive but climb higher in a diverse world.  

Program Coordinator for Student Affairs, Erin Lester, gives the Kean Community more insight on the brand new office.

Lester hopes that with the addition of their new office it will inspire actions from the Kean campus community to participate in an opportunity to practice inclusive excellence. 

"As a new office this semester, we are excited to be doing the groundwork for a list of initiatives including but not limited to Heritage and Awareness Month programming, preparing the unveiling of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Center for students and staff to enjoy in Townsend Conference Suite 116 (when we return to campus), promoting inclusive policies and on-boarding a more diverse faculty in the coming semester," said Lester.

The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion has a list of 26 events prepared for Black History Month.

On Feb. 4, the office had its official Kickoff and Flag Raising with P.U.L.S.E. Later that evening, they co-hosted alongside Music Conservatory, School of Communication, Media and Journalism for a screening of the Documentary River City Drumbeat at 6:30 p.m. and a live Q&A Session with Emmy award-winning filmmaker, Marlon Johnson. 

Some more events coming up soon include Travel through History: Explore Black History via Learning Commons Resources held on Feb. 16, Marginalized Spaces: An Open Discussion on Inequality in Our Built Environment on Feb. 24 and Capturing Change on Feb. 25. 

These and many more events listed for the month of February can be found on the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s profile on Cougar Link. To keep up with events students can follow them on Instagram @keandeioffice.

For any questions or an opportunity to collaborate that students, faculty or staff may have, please contact dei@kean.edu. Students can also read more about the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and their staff under their office information on kean.edu

Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

mpazlope@kean.edu

Maria Paz-Lopez is an English Education K-12 major. She joined The Cougar's Byte in Spring 2021. Some of her interests include film, music and art. After her time at Kean, she hopes to become a teacher and go on to teach English in a different country.