Study and Test Tips for Spring Semester

Students can utilize different tips and tricks for success in the Spring semester

Campus Life > Study and Test Tips for Spring Semester
Study and Test Tips for Spring Semester
Photo Credit: Canva
Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

With a new semester ahead of Kean students, it might be difficult for one to orient themselves back into the school schedule. So make sure to set an alarm, grab a cup of coffee and open a laptop, Spring 2021 is finally here! But with a new semester comes more work and more tests. Here are some helpful tips in studying for the new semester. 

1. Make a schedule

Find space in between classes and work hours to prioritize reviewing class notes and building study guides. Spacing out time is key and studying for a long time isn’t as effective as short periods with breaks. Try aiming for around 30 minutes of fully focused studying but never go past an hour. 

Find time every day to review notes, study guides and lectures to help retain the information much more efficiently. Things such as scrolling through social media, playing video games and watching tv are fun, but they won't guarantee that A on a final exam. Make sure to push those types of activities to the bottom of a to-do list and focus on the work at hand.

2. Prioritize hard classes

This will allow more time to practice the concepts and subjects that don’t click right away. Creating study guides for non-technical classes, such as English and history, would be much more concept oriented. It is important to understand ideas rather than processes. Using techniques like concept maps can help students better understand the subjects presented in their classes. 

Concept maps range anywhere from charts to timelines and graphic organizers. Starting from memory is a great way to assess the things retained from lectures. Afterwards students can go back through their notes and see the concepts they might have missed. By doing this, students can acknowledge the things they need to work on the most.

3. Practice makes permanent

For technical classes like math and science, working and reworking problems is key to understanding. Practicing and instilling these processes will help immensely in being prepared for tests. If a professor gives out a study guide, try completing it first without looking at specific notes. Mark up any questions that are confusing and make sure to review those concepts more than once. Sometimes, professors might not offer a study guide so try creating one and continue to use it throughout the semester. See the major problems reviewed in the notes that were created and organize them to analyze what has to be prioritized. 

4. Ask for help

Students can send their professors an email or set up virtual meetings with them during office hours. In these sessions, students can let them know about any concerns for upcoming exams or the class in general. Professors can provide students with more help on the subject and even give them tips on what lectures they should be focusing on the most. 

5. Health comes first

Don’t forget to drink water, take breaks and get some rest. Students should acknowledge that it is important to not overwhelm themselves. So enjoy some leisure time before a big exam. Remember, not everyone learns the same way. Students can test out as many studying habits as possible until they find one that best suits them.

There are many study skills and practices students can integrate into their routine to better themselves and raise or maintain their grades. It's a new semester and a fresh start for students. Good luck Cougars!

Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

mpazlope@kean.edu

Maria Paz-Lopez is an English Education K-12 major. She joined The Cougar's Byte in Spring 2021. Some of her interests include film, music and art. After her time at Kean, she hopes to become a teacher and go on to teach English in a different country.