Happy, Healthy Cougars

Information on the Kean Wellness Center and the resources it provides to the students, faculty and staff.

Features > Happy, Healthy Cougars
Happy, Healthy Cougars
The Kean Wellness Center empowers students to make informed and positive lifestyle choices
Photo Courtesy of the Kean Wellness Center
Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

The Kean Wellness Center (KWC) provides high quality, complete, integrated health and wellness services for the entire campus community. The center’s goal is to empower students to make informed and positive lifestyle choices. 

A big part of the wellness center is the Kean Counseling Center (KCC) which encourages personal responsibility to achieve and maintain wellness. KCC realizes that the environments we live and work in can affect our well-being. Therefore, their approach assists in the healing process but also includes information and care to enhance well-being based on individual needs. 

It can be hard when you come down with a cold or suffer an injury while you are living or visiting campus, but that is why Student Health Services (SHS) is there to help. Along with caring for acute illness and injury, SHS offers: 

• Vaccine days 

• Get Yourself Tested events

• Nutrition counseling

• Health updates 

• Special programming for student groups 

During the Spring 2021 semester Student Health Services is offering both telehealth and in-person appointments. All appointments will begin virtually and, if needed, a face to face follow up appointment will be scheduled. Hours of operation include: 

• Mon-Fri 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (telemedicine and in-person appointments) 

• Sat-Sun 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. (telemedicine appointments only)

• Office is closed daily from 12:30-1:30 p.m. for cleaning

With the pandemic causing stress and other related difficulties, the Wellness Center understands that everyone react and manage these emotions differently. Unfortunately one of the ways young adults choose to cope is with increased tobacco, alcohol or other drug use. Which is why the Alcohol and Other Drug Services is available for more information, resources, appointments and/or links to online self assessments. 

Director of Student Health Services Robin Mansfield said, “We will work as a collaborative team to help students stay well and find the resources they need to be successful healthy students. And look forward to bringing even more wellness offerings to students.” 

Health and Wellness Week is a week of activities, speakers and events focused on living a healthy lifestyle. There is currently no information on this event but information will be coming soon as we get closer to the Fall 2021 semester. However, the Counselor’s Couch event, where topics related to mental health and wellness will be presented followed by interactive and supportive discussions surrounding the content. This event is being held weekly from noon to 1 p.m.

Mansfield added, “September will mark the official opening of the KWC but we are still here now during the pandemic to help keep you well through in person or telehealth visits. Our services are free and available to all enrolled Kean students.”

For questions or to schedule an appointment, contact the office of Student Health Services at hsnurses@kean.edu or by phone at (908) 737-4880. Students can reach the Kean Counseling Center by phone at (908) 316-8217 and can also send a secure message through the Kean student health patient portal.

Stay happy and healthy Cougars!

Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

lukasja@kean.edu

Jaclyn Lukas is an English major with a concentration in writing. She joined The Cougar’s Byte staff in Spring 2021. After her time at Kean, Jaclyn hopes to start her professional career in publishing for books or newspapers/magazines.