Alumni Answers All

Kean Alumna, Brenda Alvarado answers burning questions about life after college, career paths and what incoming freshman should know

Features > Alumni Answers All
Alumni Answers All
Kean Alumni Brenda Alvarado
Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

Embarking into the world after college can be exciting but also scary as one wonders what lays beyond the campus they have called home for the past four years. Will they fall into their dream job? Have to work somewhere until they can get into the field of work they want? 

Continue education in graduate school?

Kean alumna, Brenda Alvarado from Brick, NJ graduated in 2021 with a bachelor's degree in business management-general business. She did not attend graduate school but encourages students with the opportunity to pursue it, to do so. Alvarado is currently tutoring English online and volunteering for the Meals on Wheels program by teaching seniors how to navigate Zoom. 

When asked if she is working in the career that she envisioned for herself, Alvarado said, “Not at this moment. Yet, I am working the flexible schedule I have wanted for some time.” 

Moving past college and into a future career, Alvarado gives the advice to live in the moment and to make every moment count. Even if an opportunity arises that does not fall into what is expected for oneself, take it because there may not be a second chance. 

Alvarado said she wishes she knew, "That it is all a learning experience, you are still growing and finding yourself,” about life after college. 

Advice to prospective students/incoming freshman from Alvarado is to not hesitate to ask questions. The faculty is there to help navigate life in college, so utilize them. As well as get involved! Join a club, go to sporting events, get a job on campus, volunteer, etc. 

“I accidentally joined the entrepreneurship club and it was the best experience I have ever had. I improved my time management skills, increased my confidence and met new people” said Alvarado. 

Besides being involved and attaining these long lasting life skills and experiences, Alvarado stresses that a good resume is very important in the work world. Keeping it simple and leaving the interviewer wanting to know more, will sway them in setting up an in-person interview. 

The biggest resume advice from Alvarado is to obtain a professional email address and move away from superfluous email address names, as employers take note of that when assessing candidates. She also advises to always keep updating one's resume. 

Alvarado, taking her future into her own hands and cherishing the journey along the way, has just published her first poetry book. Poems of a Life, by Brenda Alvarado can be purchased on Amazon. Be sure to support Alvarado on this new and exciting venture!

Good luck Alvarado in all of your future endeavors!

Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

lukasja@kean.edu

Jaclyn Lukas is an English major with a concentration in writing. She joined The Cougar’s Byte staff in Spring 2021. After her time at Kean, Jaclyn hopes to start her professional career in publishing for books or newspapers/magazines.