Down Syndrome: Back to Basics

A group of sorority members creates awareness for the condition

Campus Life > Down Syndrome: Back to Basics
Down Syndrome: Back to Basics
Lambda Delta Chi, Delta Phi Epsilon and Lambda Tau Omega Sorority, Inc. held a discussion on what Down Syndrome is and how to help those that are diagnosed.
Khali Raymond, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, March 10, Lambda Delta Chi, Delta Phi Epsilon and Lambda Tau Omega Sorority, Inc. held a virtual presentation discussing the awareness of Down syndrome to students.

During the presentation, the three organizations talked about what the condition is by also giving statistical facts around Down syndrome and how it is treated.

Back to Basics 1.png

About 5.8 million people suffer from Down syndrome. In the U.S, one of every 700 babies are estimated to be diagnosed with the condition, totaling 6,000 each year.

Additionally, the effects Down syndrome has on families and children were brought to the audience's attention.

Children that are diagnosed with Down syndrome are different from their peers as they develop at a slower rate and have difficulties with their senses.

Often, these children experience a full range of emotions and need assistance of coping with their feelings.

Not only does Down syndrome take a toll on a child, but it could affect an entire family as siblings and other relatives can feel left with a burden of the challenges coming with caring for those with special needs.

However, caring for a relative in this way is known to help other members of the family grow in a positive way as they learn to be more mature and protective.

Back to Basics 2.png

Also, these individuals learn to accept those with similar differences since they realize there is someone they know going through a struggle just as parallel.

"Down syndrome is a chromosomal condition that [is] associated with intellectual disability where all affected individuals experience cognitive delays," said Roshorn Shivers, president of Lambda Delta Chi.

After explaining what down Down syndrome is, Shivers shed a bit of light on the biological process that creates the condition.

"The extra chromosome, 21, leads to the physical features and challenges that occur amongst peopled with Down syndrome," continued Shivers.

Kayleigh Polidura, president of Delta Phi Epsilon, gave a list of resources that could help someone struggling with Down syndrome or if they know a person that does. A few of them are as follows:

• National Down Syndrome Society
  • National Down Syndrome Congress
  • Down Syndrome International
  • The International Down Syndrome Coalition
  • Band of Angels
  • Support groups

Khali Raymond, Staff Writer
raymonkh@kean.edu

Raymond_Khali-web.jpg

Khali Raymond is a senior majoring in English with a writing concentration. He attained his associate's in business administration from Berkeley College - Newark in 2019. In addition to his work as a staff writer, he is also a published author, spoken word artist, musician, activist and is the president of Kean Got Talent, a performing arts club on campus. Khali uses his creativity to overcome all adversity and impact the lives of those around him.