Get Into the Drone Zone

In a joint partnership, Kean Skylands, the Department of Criminal Justice and the Center for Cybersecurity will be hosting a three-day training workshop on how to safely operate a drone

Campus Life > Get Into the Drone Zone
Get Into the Drone Zone
The Unmanned Aircraft Systems Drone Workshop will be held in-person from Tuesday, March 14 to Thursday, March 16
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

Want to learn how to fly a drone? Kean Skylands will be hosting an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Training from Tuesday, March 16 to Thursday, March 18 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day. This event will be in-person and all appropriate safety measures will be taken to ensure the safety of all participants.

In a joint partnership, Kean Skylands, the Department of Criminal Justice and the Center for Cybersecurity will be hosting a three-day training workshop on how to safely operate a drone. The name of the course is Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Part 107 Certification Preparation Course: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). As a result of this upcoming workshop, preparations for a resulting certification that can provide approval for people to fly a drone, less than 55 pounds in weight under the of the FAA 14 CFR Part 107 rules.

The course itself will take place on the Kean Skylands Campus located in Oak Ridge, New Jersey. This event although it is in-person will follow proper safety guidelines for COVID-19 such as sanitation, maintaining a six feet distance from others and wearing a face covering. Participants are also required to check-in with the #CampusAlert app before they can walk onto campus to ensure the safety of others.

While this workshop is designed to learn how to successfully fly an unmanned drone, there are some guidelines that must be adhered to learning the rules of what is and is not permitted by the FAA 14 CFR Part 107 rules. The following is from the official webpage on the Kean website regarding the workshop:

• Operating a drone, including, but not limited to:
    • Operation of a moving aircraft
    • Daylight Observations
    • Visual Observer
    • Operation of multiple small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
    • Yielding the right of way
    • Operation over people
    • Operation in certain airspace
    • Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft
  • Preparations to becoming an FAA Certified Drone Pilot if one pursues and passes the knowledge test
    • Requirements
      • Must be at least 16 years old
      • Able to read, write, speak and understand English
      • Be in a physical and mental condition to safely fly a UAS
  • Registering a participant's drone with the FAA

Participants are advised that the Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) workshop is subject to cancellation or date change depending on the status of the university if it remains closed. In the case of this event, all participants that registered and made the required payment will be subject for reimbursement or rescheduling.

All who chose to participate in this engaging learning opportunity are required to pay a fee of $375 in order to join. All current Kean students who wish to participate may be eligible to receive credit for CJ 1996- Freshman Research. Attendees MUST be current Kean students in order to receive credit and follow through with appropriate advisement.

Please register with the Kean Marketplace on the Unmanned Aircraft Systems webpage. For any questions or concerns, please email Stanley Mierzwa, M.S.; CISSP at smierzwa@kean.edu for more information on the workshop.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.