Here To Lend A Helping Hand

Learn more about all the way you can get help from Kean’s Counseling Center

Features > Here To Lend A Helping Hand
Here To Lend A Helping Hand
Kean Counseling Center is here to help students during their college experience. Photo Credit Kean Day 2018.
Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

College can become very stressful for students. With long lectures and assignments around every corner, students can start to feel overwhelmed rather quickly. There’s no need to worry, the Kean Counseling Center is here to help!

The Counseling Center at Kean University is a resource for all students to seek help in dealing with the stressors of everyday life. The Counseling Center’s objective is to identify one’s goals and see where they can help in order to support a student’s road to success. Now operating remotely due to COVID-19, the Counseling Center is able to provide confidential services using HIPAA compliant audio and video platforms. 

Dr. Vidal Annan, director of the Office of Counseling, Accessibility, Alcohol and Other Drug Services, states, "The vision of the office is to be the comprehensive mental health resource center for the Kean University campus student community. We work to increase access and reduce stigma around mental health with care and quality."

Their hours of operation are as follows:

• Monday-Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

• Extended evening appointments are available Tuesday and Wednesday from 5 to 7 p.m.

With a team of experienced professionals, the Kean Counseling Center offers various types of mental health services that can help Kean students maneuver hard times.

Individual and/or Group Therapy

Individual counseling offers an opportunity for students to talk one on one with a trained clinician who will listen without judgment or bias. Group counseling allows a space for students to connect with others who may share similar experiences and receive feedback from their peers. Students are recommended to either depending on their needs and wants.

Psychiatric Evaluations and Medication Management

This program is designed to help students who may need medication treatment in addition to counseling. A student may be offered a consultation with their on-site psychiatrist. They can help provide information, medication and answer any questions students may have on medications.

Virtual Drop-In Support Spaces

For students who don’t need traditional therapy, the Counseling Center offers virtual drop-in support that gives students a great way to conveniently connect with others, learn new coping strategies and enhance personal growth. 

Students should note that these are only three of many services offered. Other services include initial assessments and referrals to outside providers for clients who need specialized or long-term counseling as well as on-call counselors available every day to meet with students who have urgent concerns.

The Counseling Center also provides mental health education, outreach and consultation throughout the year to the campus community. Topics include but are not limited to sexual assault awareness, stress management, drugs and alcohol education and more. 

The Kean Counseling Center is committed to helping all Kean students to continue to feel supported during these unprecedented times. Students can reach out to Kean Counseling with any further questions at counseling@kean.edu or through phone number at (908) 316-8217. More Information and resources can be found at kean.edu.

In case of an emergency after business hours, call 911, Kean Police at (908) 737-4800 or the Trinitas Regional Medical Center Emergency Room at (908) 944-7131. Additional statewide emergency resources and hotlines are available on the Counseling Center’s Mental Health Resources page

Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

mpazlope@kean.edu

Maria Paz-Lopez is an English Education K-12 major. She joined The Cougar's Byte in Spring 2021. Some of her interests include film, music and art. After her time at Kean, she hopes to become a teacher and go on to teach English in a different country.