KAM Seminar Series: Women in Marketing and Advertising

Students and staff learn more about women in marketing and advertising fields

Campus Life > KAM Seminar Series: Women in Marketing and Advertising
Join Kean's ASsociation of Markting and the office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion on a presentation of Woman's History in Marketing and Advertising. Photo of presenation at the online event.
Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

On March 4, Kean’s Association of Marketing (KAM), along with the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, hosted their third seminar in the KAM Seminar Series. 

In honor of Women’s History Month, KAM had members present data and create a space for an open discussion on how women are presented in marketing and advertising as well as ways to improve representation in the future.

The presenters began by reading a slide with a handful of statistics. One specific statistic exposed to participants was, 76% of female consumers and 71% of males feel that the way men and women are portrayed [is] out of touch.  

This and many other industry statistics were presented for participants to better their understanding of women in marketing and advertising. 

KAM gave staff and students further insights into women’s portrayal in advertisements by going over the four main categories that stereotypes can fall into; personality traits, domestic behaviors, occupations and physical appearances.

They made the audience aware of the current issues in female representation in advertising. That may include subjects such as body standards, outdated gender norms and over-sexualization.

The presenters then revealed two Budweiser ads almost 70 years apart for viewers to see just how much advertising has changed. They also had a variety of other advertisements, such as a Dove Campaign for self-esteem and Barbie: Role Models, that are taking steps towards better presentation in advertisements. 

After watching Secrets, “All Strength, No Sweat” advertisement, the rest of the seminar was spent in thought-provoking conversations between participants. 

Staff and students shared their own experiences, thoughts and views on women’s standards in the media as well as a variety of other topics. Many spoke on food consumption, gender inequality, social change, ageism, sexism and other topics that were looked at and discussed in depth. 

Overall, KAM held a successful seminar that held intriguing conversations and pushed for a better presentation of women in all aspects of marketing and advertising.

Students can also check out any upcoming events hosted by Kean's Association of Marketing on Cougar Link or on their Instagram @kean_marketing.

If students are interested in any further events hosted by the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, they can take a look on Cougar Link or their Instagram @keandeioffice.

Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

mpazlope@kean.edu

Maria Paz-Lopez is an English Education K-12 major. She joined The Cougar's Byte in Spring 2021. Some of her interests include film, music and art. After her time at Kean, she hopes to become a teacher and go on to teach English in a different country.