Kean Student's Go To For Healthcare Needs

Learn more about Kean's Student Health Services and get the answers to any health concerns

Features > Kean Student's Go To For Healthcare Needs
Kean Health Service's staff ready to help students with their healthcare needs. Photo courtesy of Robin E. Mansfield.
Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

Students might find themselves with a heavy cough, a broken finger or a missing shot they needed to get years ago. Others might just be looking for an explanation for that growing pain in their leg. Regardless of the health concern, students can trust Kean’s Student Health Services to help! 

Kean University’s Student Health Services (SHS) is a vital resource for all students during these unprecedented times. 

Student Health Services ensures an atmosphere of health and wellness so that students can focus on their academic goals and be prepared for their future life endeavors. 

They are committed to providing high-quality, accessible and cost-effective health care. SHS enables Kean students to make informed health care decisions and empowers students to be self-directed and well-informed of health care. They push for the well-being of the campus community. 

Director Robin Mansfield states, "Student Health Services is here to support the health and wellness of today’s busy college students by providing cost-effective, high quality, accessible health care."

Student Health Services is accessible now more than ever before with new operation hours:

• Monday-Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for both telemedicine and in-person appointments
  • Saturdays and Sundays: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for telemedicine appointments
  • Office’s close daily from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. for cleaning

Students can also consult with a clinician or administrative staff with any health care concerns, immunization or questions regarding COVID-19.

Mansfield wants students to know, "On our website, we have a link labeled coronavirus information. Once students click on it, it has presidential announcements, health and safety announcements, restart plan, tips for a successful semester, frequently asked questions and information on Covid-19 cybersecurity."

During the Spring 2021 semester, Student Health Services is offering both telehealth and in-person appointments. SHS is located in Downs Hall Room 126 and students must have an appointment to be seen. All services are still available through telemedicine appointments. This includes but is not limited to:

• Primary care
  • Gynecology
  • STI Testing, HIV testing and PrEP for HIV prevention
  • LGBTQ+ Services
  • Nutrition Appointments
  • Physicals for Academic Purposes
  • Medical Absences 

Students should note that all appointments will begin with telemedicine and if necessary, a face-to-face follow-up appointment can be scheduled. These arrangements are usually made on the same day or within 24 hours.

Services are available to all students enrolled in classes for the current or upcoming semester and further information can be found on the Student Health Service page. Brochures are also available regarding services and coronavirus information provided in English, Spanish and Mandarin. 

Students can reach out with any questions or to schedule an appointment by contacting SHS by phone at (908) 737-4880, by email at hsnurses@kean.edu or through their secure messaging system via the patient portal at kean.studenthealthportal.com

If a student has knowledge of any student who is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, is currently being tested or has been tested for COVID-19, they are asked to fill out this Student Reporting Tool

Students should not be worried, all reports are kept confidential. Student Health Services hopes the Kean community can work together in keeping a clean and safe campus for everyone to continue their academic careers.

Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

mpazlope@kean.edu

Maria Paz-Lopez is an English Education K-12 major. She joined The Cougar's Byte in Spring 2021. Some of her interests include film, music and art. After her time at Kean, she hopes to become a teacher and go on to teach English in a different country.