Let's Talk Genetic Counseling

The Genetic Counseling Student Interest Group is at Kean to help students explore the field of genetic counseling

Features > Let's Talk Genetic Counseling
Let's Talk Genetic Counseling
Learn more about the Genetic Counseling Student Interest Group.
Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer

The Genetic Counseling Student Interest Group exists at Kean to educate students on the field of genetic counseling. They aim to do this through resources for students as well as a community of peers that they have created. By joining this group, students can learn more about genetics, medicine, psychology and advocacy. 

This group came to Kean through the help of Jill Fischer, M.S., C.G.C., who is the director of Kean’s Genetic Counseling graduate program. She wanted undergraduate students to have the opportunity to learn more about the field.

Through this student group, members can find out more about genetic counseling and what it takes to be a genetic counselor. Additionally, students will have more networking opportunities between the members, as well as a community of like-minded individuals. 

Members are able to talk and collaborate with graduate students that are in the genetic counseling program. These graduate students can act as mentors, offering advice and knowledge to the undergraduate students. Also, if members are interested in continuing their education at Kean in the program, the graduate students can share their experiences with applying, the courses that they take and more. The faculty from the program also share their advice with the members as well.

Additionally, students will be able to talk with genetic counselors to hear their first hand experience in the field. This can even lead to shadowing and advocacy opportunities. The Genetic Counseling Students Interest Group provides its members with many opportunities to learn crucial skills and obtain experiences for them to use in their future endeavors. 

President Esther Choi said, “This organization is an opportunity for genetic counseling to become more well-known, not only in Kean’s undergraduate population, but also in the surrounding communities.”

She continued, “We believe that equipping Kean’s students with the knowledge and opportunities to make meaningful connections with the families and people in their communities will allow them to gain valuable advocacy experience that will ground them in their journeys as future healthcare professionals.”

The student group is new to Kean and excited to welcome new members.They held their first meeting on Feb.17 and are excited to hold more meetings as the semester progresses. They are also working on planning events such as guest speaker lectures, present patient cases, and question and answer sessions. 

To learn more about the Genetic Counseling Student Interest Group, be sure to check out their Cougar Link page. 

Sheehan Shannon - web

Shannon Sheehan, Staff Writer
sheehsha@kean.edu

Shannon Sheeehan is a Junior Communications major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. She joined The Cougar's Byte staff in Spring 2018. After her time at Kean, Shannon hopes to start her professional career in Public Relations and/or Social Media.