Miscast The Musical Makes Magic

Kean Theatre Council's musical production was streamed to help raise awareness for pancreatic cancer

Campus Life > Miscast The Musical Makes Magic
Miscast The Musical Makes Magic
Presenting the cast of Miscast The Musical
Photo courtesy of Kean Theatre Council
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

Miscast the Musical: Cabaret for a Cure streamed live on Kean Theatre Council’s YouTube page with performances at 7 p.m. on March 18, 19, and at 2 p.m. on March 20, 2021 in affiliation with the Student Organization of Kean University.

Miscast the Musical: Cabaret for a Cure celebrated favorite show tunes such as Newsies, Little Shop of Horrors, Beauty and the Beast, Dear Evan Hansen and Footloose amongst countless other lyrical showstoppers sung by the talented performers of the Kean Theatre Council which is led by its President, Melissa Calicchio.

The show was directed by senior theater education major and KTC VP, Leanne Marie Laurino with musical direction by her brother, Joseph Laurino Jr. who is also a senior and music education major. One of the focuses of the Miscast the Musical: Cabaret for a Cure performance was to explore the repertoire across gender identities to bridge the gap of humanity. The event was a celebration of human life regardless of type. 

The proceeds for this performance will benefit Lustgarten Foundation Pancreatic Cancer Research. The foundation’s mission is “to cure pancreatic cancer by funding scientific and clinical research related to the diagnosis, treatment and the prevention of pancreatic cancer as well as providing research information and clinical support services to patients, caregivers and individuals at high risk.” As the largest private funder of pancreatic cancer research, The Lustgarten Foundation focuses on improving patient outcomes on a daily basis. Thanks to separate funding for administrative expenses, 100 percent of every donation goes directly to research.

Miscast The Musical
Photo courtesy of Kean Theatre Council

The foundation continues to be the largest private funder of pancreatic cancer research in the world. The Lustgarten Foundation envisions a world where pancreatic cancer is curable and patients will be treated effectively with a good quality of life.

While Miscast the Musical: Cabaret for a Cure may have been virtual, it was an experience of energy, excitement, and enchanting entertainment as one couldn’t help but sing along in a melody of harmonious tunes to escape the everyday. A special thanks to all of the performers who shared their talents both onscreen and off:

Melissa Calicchio, Sara Dabul, Katie Davis, Sofia Feggulis, Ashley Henson, Morgan Hope, Kennedy Kelly, Katie Kawko, Ashley Kessler, Lorelle Lane, Brandon Luckenbaugh, Melanie Maciejak, Katie Mestres, Elizabeth Molfetto, David Rivera, Chachi Rodriguez, Jeremiah Rosado, Ryan Sautner, Rose Spalliero, Melody Stubbs, Spenser Williams, and Leanne Marie Laurino.

Special thanks also go out to accompanists, Robert Lapore Jr. and Tricia Marshall, Student Organization of Kean University members, Lori Berry and Ryan Almonacy; Randi Marcus of Lustgarten Foundation: Pancreatic Cancer Research and KTC Faculty Advisor, Holly Logue.

For more information on upcoming programs by Kean Theatre Council, please visit Cougar Link or visit Kean Theatre pages on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. For more information on how you can make a donation to pancreatic cancer research and in honor of Joseph Laurino Sr., please visit Lustgarten Foundation: Pancreatic Cancer Research.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.