Purple Reign

Residential Student Services host a virtual yoga session to help promote wellness

Campus Life > Purple Reign
Purple Reign
Residential Student Services and The National Council of Negro Women, Inc host a virtual yoga session for students to unwind
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

On Friday, March 12, Residential Student Services (RSS) in collaboration with the National Council of Negro Women, Inc (NCNW) hosted a virtual yoga session via Zoom. This session allowed attendees to relax after their classes and was open to all students who wanted to expand their physical and spiritual wellness.

The National Council of Negro Women, Inc is an organization that was founded on December 5, 1935 and their mission is to help lead, advocate and empower women of African descent and their families. NCNW also has a part of the organization called the Charles L. Franklin Associates that accept men into the organization as well. Kean University's chapter of the NCNW encourages both men and women to participate in their upcoming events as well as everything else they are apart of.

During the course of the night, RSS held this virtual yoga session to help ease the minds especially with all the remote learning being at play for classes. Yoga is an exercise that teaches all who partake in it to focus on their mind, body and soul. Doing so helps relieve stress and gain another form of physical activity. Yoga not only helps people physically, it also helps them mentally and spiritually gaining a new perspective on life.

Yoga has been taught as an ancient form of exercise after originating in India 5,000 years ago. It has many benefits including weight loss and improved metabolism. It also helps develop muscles evenly over the surface of bones increasing flexibility. Yoga is also beneficial in helping people with high blood pressure, heart disease, aches and pains, depression and stress.

Wellness is an act of promoting healthy habits on a daily basis to attain better mental and physical health outcomes. Whenever it comes to health, one must understand how it links to wellness before proceeding with a healthy lifestyle.

Attendees were taught to help sharpen their minds and balance out their core exercise during the Purple Reign event. Most forms of yoga are not as strenuous enough to count toward a recommended 150 minutes of moderate physical activity as set out by proper government guidelines. Yoga does count as a strengthening exercise and as an alternative to one's daily exercise routine if done right. Try to maintain at least two sessions a week while practicing yoga to feel the full effect of the exercise and get the recommended amount of physical activity.

There are many different styles of yoga that are practiced throughout the world. Some may be more vigorous than others while some focus more on certain aspects of the body such as breathing or posture. The main key is find what is best for oneself.

Participants were excited after the session ended and could not wait to see what is in store for the next collaboration event. For more information on events by Residential Student Services or the National Council of Negro Women, Inc, please make sure to check out Cougar Link for more details.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.