Roots: Tiny Desk Concert

Take a closer look at Kean P.U.L.S.E Programming Board's Tiny Roots Concert and see how students showcased their roots

Campus Life > Roots: Tiny Desk Concert
Roots: Tiny Desk Concert
Kean Students share their roots through a variety of songs, dances, and spoken words. Photo Credit to Kean P.U.L.S.E Programing Board
Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

On March 19, Kean P.U.L.S.E Programming Board for Unique and Lively Students (P.U.L.S.E) hosted their first Roots: Tiny Desk Concert on Youtube Live in celebration of Black History Month. Both students and staff were welcome to watch Kean students share their roots through a variety of performances from dance, spoken word and song.

The event opened with a lovely performance by Jorge Rivera. Rivera sang the song Rise Up by Andra Day, showcasing his strong and beautiful voice.

Following Rivera's performance, Khali Raymond wrote a poem in honor of women's history month and read it out loud for the audience.

A second singer, Jacqueline Hernandez, took the online stage singing the song Someone Like You by Adele. Her voice filled the air as she displayed her talents.

Roots TIny Desk Cocnert (1).png

Ashanti Enos, Roshorn Shivers Jr. and Stephanie Coronel performed a powerful dance to Freedom by Beyonce.

The event closed with a quote from Sojourner Truth held up by one of the dancers, "If women want any rights more than they's got, why don't they just take them, and not be talking about it."

In case one missed this event, a video is available to watch on Kean P.U.L.S.E's Youtube Channel.

Kean P.U.L.S.E holds a variety of events for students to stay connected during these disconnected times. All upcoming P.U.L.S.E events are listed on Cougar Link.

In celebration of Women's History Month, Kean P.U.L.S.E posts women who have made history every Thursday of the month. The first student to direct message them on their Instagram @keanpulse identifying at least four of those women will have the chance to win a prize.

If students have any questions or interests, they can email them at keanpulse@kean.edu.

Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

mpazlope@kean.edu

Maria Paz-Lopez is an English Education K-12 major. She joined The Cougar's Byte in Spring 2021. Some of her interests include film, music and art. After her time at Kean, she hopes to become a teacher and go on to teach English in a different country.