Working Our Way To That Degree

Information on Work Study at Kean and how to find out if one is eligible

Campus Life > Working Our Way To That Degree
Working Our Way To That Degree
Jumpstart Corps members implement the Jumpstart curriculum in preschool classrooms across the country and serve as an aid to teachers. Corps members serve on a team with 5 to 7 peers and work directly with a local Jumpstart staff member on training, session planning, service opportunities and more.
Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

The Federal Work Study (FWS) provides part time employment to students, on and off campus, with financial need. The earnings these students make are intended to meet the cost of their education. The program encourages the students receiving FWS assistance to also participate in community service activities. 

Unfortunately, COVID-19 has affected Work Study greatly because it can only be done remotely with approval from Human Resources and if the department has remote work available. 

Sally Mathan, Federal Work Study coordinator said, “most of the department could not allow the students to work remotely and some students are not interested in coming back to campus.”

FSW positions are available only to students who are eligible for financial aid. The eligibility criteria to see if a student is eligible for financial aid and can be considered for an FWS position is as follows: 

• File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

• Have “financial need” as determined by federal financial aid criteria

• Complete all federal financial aid requirements (if applicable) 

• Meet standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress 

• Register as a matriculating student 

There are also some documents that need to be completed and/or looked over before one can begin their FWS. They include: 

• FWS application 2020-2021

• FWS fact sheet 2020-2021

• Kean University Student Employment Guidelines

Be sure to note that there is a limited number of available jobs and the positions fill up quickly. Some of the positions may also not be available during the time the interview is held. All FWS positions are part-time, a maximum of 20 hours per week and all positions are open until filled. 

Available 2020-2021 FWS jobs include: 

• General office work 

• Off-campus Community Service 

• Tutoring 

• Event Staff 

• Research Assistants 

• Computer Lab Attendants 

Mathan explained that, “Tutoring, fitness center, research, computer lab, library, and off-campus positions including Jumpstart in the Center for Leadership and Service” are the most popular jobs in Work Study.

For more information contact the Office of Financial Aid at fws@kean.edu or by phone at (908) 737-0408. 

Get that degree Cougars!

Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

lukasja@kean.edu

Jaclyn Lukas is an English major with a concentration in writing. She joined The Cougar’s Byte staff in Spring 2021. After her time at Kean, Jaclyn hopes to start her professional career in publishing for books or newspapers/magazines.