The Heart of the Kean Campus

Take a look into everything involved in the Miron Student Center

Features > The Heart of the Kean Campus
The Heart of the Kean Campus
Learn more about everything the Miron Student Center has to offer for Kean's student body. Photo courtesy of Kean University's Instagram @keanuniversity
Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

The Miron Student Center Operations and Event Management (MSC) is the hub for student activities and campus organization. Its mission is to serve the Kean student body by providing opportunities for social interaction and to enrich a student's college experience.

With small and large group meeting spaces, a game room, the Cougar's Den for socialization, a food court for all a student can crave, a convenience store and the Little Theatre, there is nothing that can't be done in the Miron Student Center.

The MSC also houses three Kean Offices that work hard to bring more to the Kean Community.

The Office of Community Standards and Student Conduct ensures the Kean campus community is in line with the code of conduct for students to grow intellectually and into strong community members. They push the core values of integrity, community, fairness, respect and responsibility.

They educate students on the institution's core values outlined in the Student Code of Conduct and investigate complaints, violations and hold Student Conferences. Students should not worry as all cases and procedures are guaranteed to be fair as outlined.

Then there is the Office of Student Government under MSC's roof. Student Government makes sure the student body's voice is heard. They build a community with students, staff, faculty and administration to better the Kean community, enrich student life and create an unforgettable college experience for everyone.

Finally, there is the Center for Leadership and Service. CLS provides a variety of opportunities for students to develop leadership skills and take part in community service. Constantly developing programs for students to act as leaders, CLS is the center for all that is involvement activities.

CLS offers enriching opportunities for student employment. If one is interested in joining CLS's student staff team, they can take a look at Cougar Link to apply.

Alongside these three departments, the MSC also offers different activities for students to de-stress, get something to eat or spend time with friends. One might ask what they should be looking forward to for the in-person fall semester? 

The Director of the Miron Student Center, Kerrin Lyles gives students some insights into the changes that will be undergoing for the fall semester.

The MSC Computer Lab and game room are undergoing upgrades!

Lyles said, "We will be moving away from the traditional concept of how the Computer Lab was used and designing it in a way that aligns more with the needs of our current and future students."

Students should look forward to new furniture and an esports area in the renovated Game Room.

An amazon locker will also be added to the back entrance of the MSC by the food court. It will provide 24/7 access for amazon customers to receive and return amazon orders. Resident students will enjoy receiving their packages much quicker than before.

The new outdoor Recreation Complex has started construction. Lyles said, "This is a project that I am very excited about. We will be completely resurfacing the basketball courts, adding a new multi-use turf field to the area that used to be the tennis courts and reshaping the volleyball pit."

The new area is being perfected in hopes to promote students' wellness, programming and student life experience.

With the change from online to in-person coming next semester, students should make sure to visit the Miron Student Center and take in all it has to offer.

Students with questions can contact the Miron Student Center's main administration through their phone number at (908) 737-5200.

One might also want to keep an eye out on Instagram @KeanMSC or @KeanPULSE to stay updated with MSC activities or on Twitter @KeanMSC.

Maria Paz-Lopez, Staff Writer

mpazlope@kean.edu

Maria Paz-Lopez is an English Education K-12 major. She joined The Cougar's Byte in Spring 2021. Some of her interests include film, music and art. After her time at Kean, she hopes to become a teacher and go on to teach English in a different country.