Creating Crossroads

The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion hosted Intersectionality in Hip-Hop and Pop Culture on Tuesday, March 30

Campus Life > Creating Crossroads
Creating Crossroads
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion talks about the Intersectionality in Hip-Hop and Pop Culture
Photo courtesy of the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Justin Kanski, Staff Writer

Joined by Kean University’s very own Department of Communication Lecturer, Dr. Kisha Dasent, the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion hosted a tell-all open forum on Tuesday, March 30 via Zoom to discuss intersectionality in hip hop and pop culture. 

The open table discussion was part of a series of discussions with Kean Table Talk speculating on women of color, how they are depicted in the media, the narrative influence they have on the everyday female and how to navigate personal as well as professional lives based on those depictions. 

Intersectionality is a theory that states the combination of various identities facilitates determining the specific type of oppression and discrimination a person will feel. The importance of intersectionality must be acknowledged while the struggle for equality continues.

From rappers such as Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion who embrace their female presence, their representation should not be misconstrued as symbols of sexuality but more so as that of female empowerment. Iconic representations of LGBTQ rappers such as Young M.A., SIYA and Queen Latifah give a much-needed voice so that an individual from any walk of life can be heard with much-needed respect. 

The discussion intensified with how social media attributes to the overall persona of individuals in society because they are more concerned about the number of followers they have rather than how their words can affect how others perceive them. The recent breakup of rapper Saweetie to Offset rapper, Quavo drew huge attention because it demoralized the action of the female which was a double standard in the expectation of the male response.

Stay strong, resilient and continue to strive for excellence as there will always be barriers and crossroads that may cause disruption in the path to one’s true self. For more information about the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion with all of their upcoming events for the rest of the semester, be sure to find them on Cougar link with more information on how to participate today.

Justin Kanski - web

Justin Kanski, Staff Writer
kanskij@kean.edu

Justin Kanski is a senior majoring in Communication with a focus on Media/Film and a minor in Health Relations. A Staff Writer for The Cougar's Byte, Justin is also a part of Kean TV and WKNJ 90.3 Cougar Radio as the host of J Money Jams. He is a member of the Leadership Institute Platinum Level and has served as a New Student Orientation Leader for the past two years. Justin’s favorite shows are “Power” and "Cobra Kai" while his favorite movies are anything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He also loves listening to Hip-Hop music. Whether it be in front of the camera or behind it, Justin aspires to be a media mogul.