Looking for a Campus Job?

Kean University has many opportunities for student employment on campus

Campus Life > Looking for a Campus Job?
Looking for a Campus Job?
There are many different opportunities for students to work on campus.
Photo Courtesy of Pexels.com
Taylor Battle, Staff Writer

Looking for an employment opportunity on campus? Kean University has many different opportunities for students looking to gain work experience. With many departments looking to hire workers, students should know all that Kean has to offer. 

Becoming a student worker is a big responsibility, requiring hard work and full commitment. By working on campus, one must dedicate their time and energy into the job while properly representing their area of employment. Kean University is an equal opportunity employer, so those looking for work will never have to worry about their race, religion, sex and orientation being a factor.

With such a diverse range of departments and opportunities, students are sure to find one that fits their needs. Some departments looking to hire include Residential Student Services, Center for Leadership and Service, and Nancy Thompson Library Learning Commons. These are just some of the many to help students get involved.  

When looking for employment, students should be aware that different departments require different responsibilities. For Harold Carias, lead student ambassador for Office of Admissions, his role is to assist high school students and counselors to help students apply to Kean or to help them understand what we offer.

For Rania Gobji, information desk staff for Miron Student Center, her role is to answer incoming calls and to assist people with information about an upcoming event, building hours, transferring their call to another department and so on.

Another important factor for students is the environment that they will be placed in. At Kean, departments are motivated to be safe, friendly and professional. For Gobji, her coworkers are extremely helpful and are always lending a helping hand.

“We’re all a team which makes it easier to ask for help,” said Gobji, “My coworkers have definitely helped me improve as a worker." 

When one decides to become a student worker, they must balance their academics and their work. Fortunately, Kean is heavily aware of this and encourages students to put their education first. Ryen Hagg, student ambassador of Office of Admissions, said that in her workplace they live by the rule, workers are “students first, employees second."

As a student worker, there are many benefits that come with being a part of the community. For Myia White, general education peer mentor for General Studies, said that she has gained relationships with fellow students. "My job helps me build a relationship with students. I get to know the students and connect with them and who they are" said White.

Carias says that his job allows him opportunities that other students are less likely to have. "In my position, I have the opportunity to speak to the president and other important figures of the college." Carias adds that his position also taught him to network and make important connections.

There are many ways to find a job on campus, one being through the Kean website and Cougar Link. Another way is by networking with staff and students. For White, networking and recommendations led her to work for General Studies.

For those looking for campus jobs, many student workers give their advice on what one should do. Carias and White both agree that networking is vital when looking for employment.

“You never know who you may be talking to,” White states. Carias agrees and says, “You might be sitting next to the next Steve Jobs." 

Good luck in that work force Cougars!

Taylor Battle, Staff Writer

battlet@kean.edu

Taylor Battle is a junior pursuing a major in English with a writing option. Taylor joined The Cougar’s Byte in Spring 2021 with the position of a Staff Writer. She has a passion for the arts including music, art, literature and theater. She also is dedicated to helping her fellow colleagues to the best of her abilities. After graduating Kean, Taylor inspires to start a career in either journalism or publication.