Quick Pick-Up Game Anyone?

Information on the updated Recreation Center at the Miron Student Center and the facilities it will offer students

Homepage > Campus Life > Quick Pick-Up Game Anyone?
Quick Pick-Up Game Anyone?
Flyer for MSC Recreation Complex
Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

Wouldn’t a place on campus where students can go to play pick up games, promote wellness and have fun with friends be nice? Well, students are in luck because the Miron Student Center (MSC) is getting a Recreation Complex. A space for students to go burn off some steam after a long day or to get active on their off days/weekends. 

Coming this fall, MSC Recreation Complex is set to include: 

• New multi-use turf field 

• Resurfaced basketball courts 

• Reconfigured volleyball sandpit 

Taking advantage of these facilities will allow students to enjoy the sports they love, at their leisure and without the pressure of playing for the college teams. Commuters and on-campus students can take advantage of this updated complex, giving students the chance to connect and interact with their peers. 

Director of the Miron Student Center, Kerrin Lyles shared, “Students can expect to see a space that was totally designed with them in mind. There will be plenty of spaces for them to re-connect, program and create a sense of community here at Kean University. Oh and plenty of Kean branding; we want everyone to remember where they are.” 

Nearly complete, renovations for the new MSC Recreation Complex have been underway since mid-April and are scheduled to be completed by mid-June. This means that come the fall 2021 semester, students will be able to enjoy the new Recreation Complex and all of the amenities it has to offer.

Having removed a lot of the fencing that usually occupied the area, makes way for additional seating to be added, in order to create a more open and inclusive environment. The Recreation Complex will be able to be reserved for student groups to hold programs but it will mostly be open for students to enjoy at their leisure. 

Lyles said, “I am really excited to see all of the creative ways in which the multi-purpose turf field will be used. We have not had anything like this on our campus before so I am really interested to see how our students will utilize it. Nothing would make me happier than to walk out there and see our students enjoying the newly refreshed Recreation Complex. I might even challenge one of them to a shooting contest.” 

If students have any questions or concerns, they can contact the MSC at (908) 737-5222. Students can also use the Zoom meeting ID: 392-846-3547 to talk to someone at the virtual information desk between the hours of 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 

Let’s Reconnect at the MSC!

Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

lukasja@kean.edu

Jaclyn Lukas is an English major with a concentration in writing. She joined The Cougar’s Byte staff in Spring 2021. After her time at Kean, Jaclyn hopes to start her professional career in publishing for books or newspapers/magazines.