Broadcasting For Students; By Students

Check out Kean's Radio Station, WKNJ_FM, that is run and presented by students

Features > Broadcasting For Students; By Students
Broadcasting For Students; By Students
Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

Picture this, a radio station for college students by college students. That is what Kean University's WKNJ-FM Radio (90.3 FM) is, a radio station that students can tune into to get campus news and information. Students can tune in during their morning commute or in-between classes which will allow them to have the opportunity to hear their fellow peers talking.

Due to the pandemic the members of WKNJ-FM have been working virtually, uploading their segments to digital platforms such as Spotify, Apple music and Anchor Podcast. A challenge, at first, has now become a new atmosphere to their segments. The station would also broadcast public service announcements in regards to COVID testing, in the earlier times of the pandemic. 

Communications in Journalism major, 2021 graduate, and former Program Director at WKNJ-FM Tasha Dowbachuk said, “During my time, I have assisted the members transition to recording and editing their segments remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.” 

At WKNJ-FM, the members discuss a variety of different topics. They create discussions around the latest trends of popular culture, as well as spotlighting the new release of music across different genres. This semester WKNJ-FM brought multiple different segments that students could look forward to every week. Some of these included:

• The Black Minds (Morning uploads)

• The Book Was Better (Afternoon uploads)

• J Money Jams, Sport Alerte, Anime Fanatics and Crime & Mystery Talk (Streams) 

Dowbachuk expressed, “As a member of four years, I was able to formulate bonds with students across different majors who share the same admiration and appreciation for the diverse discussions, to promote awareness through popular culture and especially the influence of music.” 

Being a part of WKNJ-FM gives students who wish to pursue a career in the radio or media industry a strong sense of community and support. Being surrounded by other students who have the similar interest of broadcast radio helps to create a feeling of belonging. Learning how to operate radio equipment and establish a platform for themselves makes this experience worthwhile. 

Dowbachuk shared, “It was one of the greatest experiences I have had at Kean University.” 

If students have any questions or want further information they can contact the new Program Director Zachery Halley, at halleyz@kean.edu or go to their Instagram @wknj903.

Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

lukasja@kean.edu

Jaclyn Lukas is an English major with a concentration in writing. She joined The Cougar’s Byte staff in Spring 2021. After her time at Kean, Jaclyn hopes to start her professional career in publishing for books or newspapers/magazines.