CAPS: Here to Help!

Information about Kean's Center for Advising, Persistence and Success

Features > CAPS: Here to Help!
CAPS: Here to Help!
Students should check out when they are eligible to register in order to figure out when best to schedule an advisement meeting.
Photo from Pixabay.com
Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

When going into college, not everyone knows what field they want to study or they are struggling to transfer credits from another school within their major. For these students Kean University provides the Center for Advising, Persistence and Success (CAPS). Here, undeclared freshman, sophomores and transfer students can receive advisement from their CAPS advisors. 

Meeting with an advisor is a requirement for all undergraduate students before they can register for classes each semester. Those who have yet to declare a major will receive their primary advisement through CAPS, until they declare a major of study. Students must choose a major in order to be eligible to graduate. 

Associate Director for Juniors, Chantonette Lyles spoke about guiding students in picking a major, “CAPS would begin the conversation around what interests do they have. For example, do they want to help people? Do they enjoy writing? Do they enjoy math and science? Do they enjoy working with their hands? By asking these types of questions and narrowing down interests, students will be able to really think about what excites them and can develop this interest into declaring a major.”

To schedule an appointment with your CAPS advisor students can click the link on the CAPS website. Questions based off of students specific grade-level/situation can be answered through the following emails: 

The team at CAPS provides culturally responsive academic advising, evidence-based programming, educational planning and positive academic transitions for undeclared freshman, sophomore and transfer students. Connecting these students to services and resources across the university, CAPS empowers them to engage in unique experiences along their academic journey. The center is a safe space that promotes community and belonging. 

Assistant Vice President for CAPS Mensah Peterson, Ed.D. said, "I hope students can take away that CAPS is a place where students can get their academic needs addressed. We are here to answer any questions or concerns that students may have. In addition, we want students to know that we are advocates for them during their academic journey. We want to ensure that students are advised, guided and provided the proper direction to graduate.”

Services offered at CAPS are as follows: 

• Academic advisement 

• Academic programming

• Course Planning 

• Checklist Review 

• Early Alert Review 

• Referrals to Other Departments 

• Registration Assistance 

• Transcript Evaluation/Degree Audits 

For more information students can visit the Center for Academic Success (CAS) building on the first floor in room 111. Summer hours include: Mon-Thurs 8:15 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Don’t forget about advisement, Cougars! 

Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

lukasja@kean.edu

Jaclyn Lukas is an English major with a concentration in writing. She joined The Cougar’s Byte staff in Spring 2021. After her time at Kean, Jaclyn hopes to start her professional career in publishing for books or newspapers/magazines.