Musicians Ass(ense)mble

Showing students what the Kean's music ensemble entails and how they can become apart of it

Features > Musicians Ass(ense)mble
Musicians Ass(ense)mble
Students can become part of the Jazz Ensemble by registering for it on KeanWise. The course ID is "MUS*2879 JAZZ ENSEMBLE."
Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

A music ensemble is known as a group of individuals who perform vocally or instrumentally together in a unified way. Kean’s music ensemble is the home of multiple sections, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Chamber music for strings and winds, Chamber winds, and a Percussion Ensemble. Open to all students, music ensemble is a great way for students to explore their musical side and be a part of something amazing. 

Students ranging from music majors/minors to psychology majors are all welcome to audition for ensemble. An interest in music is not subject to being in a musical field but rather a way for students to express themselves and be surrounded by other people who have the same passion as them. A few of the instruments that are used in the ensemble include: 

• Saxophone 

• Trumpet 

• Tympani

• French horn 

• Trombone 

Through Kean’s music ensemble, students have the opportunity to not only put on concerts for surrounding schools but also to travel and perform. Assistant to the Director of Kean's music ensemble, Maikiah Robinson said, “During the Spring term, we travel to surrounding public schools to put on a concert. In addition to that, we also have a choir tour! Spring 2019, we traveled to South Carolina and gave a wonderful performance with the Coastal Carolina University choir.”

During the brunt of COVID, the music ensemble struggled to adjust their program to online practices and performances. However, some amazing projects were created during this time, many coming from the Concert Choir and Women’s Chorale. Chamber hosted a performance on Zoom and the Concert Choir even performed O Love on YouTube, which can be seen at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMw5S8-7FrE

In regards to the upcoming fall Semester, Robinson said, “Now that Kean University is back in person for this coming fall term, all ensembles will be back to performing in Enlow Hall. For example, our concert choir will be performing the Verdi Requiem with a full orchestra!”

If students are interested in music ensemble, they can contact music@kean.edu, to set up an audition or contact the Director of Ensemble, Mark Terenzi, D.Mus., at mterenzi@kean.edu for further questions. 

Let’s make some music, Cougars!

Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

lukasja@kean.edu

Jaclyn Lukas is an English major with a concentration in writing. She joined The Cougar’s Byte staff in Spring 2021. After her time at Kean, Jaclyn hopes to start her professional career in publishing for books or newspapers/magazines.