One Successful Semester, Coming Up!

Helpful tips and tricks for students as we come back to school and campus for the upcoming fall semester.

Campus Life > One Successful Semester, Coming Up!
One Successful Semester, Coming Up!
Kean students following CDC guidelines, while walking on campus.
Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

As we approach the end of summer, the time to trade in beach trips for study sessions and summer nights for homework is almost here. Getting back into the swing of things is an adjustment for everyone, especially being back in person for the first time in three semesters. Here are some tips and tricks for students to have a successful upcoming semester. 

Time management will be everyone's best friend for this semester. Doing school and even working remotely allows for more time to ourselves and less time worrying about being somewhere on time. With going back in person, students will have to be sure they are allotting enough time to get to their classes (whether commuting or staying on campus) and other necessary events/activities. 

While things are more back to normal than ever, to ensure a successful semester, students must follow the guidelines put in place to protect not only themselves but others from COVID-19. On August 31, Kean University President Lamont O. Repollet, Ed.D. sent an email stating that masks are required to be worn inside all Kean buildings and classrooms. Social distancing is also still encouraged indoors and in big social groups/gatherings.

Studying is an important part of school that can not only help students with their academics but also help them to form connections with peers. Try to establish a study group or group message with a few people in class, this way, one will always have someone if confused about an assignment. Along with the possibility of making friends if one is new to Kean or if students are having trouble making connections with people. 

Students should be sure to establish a good relationship with their professors and do not be afraid to ask questions. Professors are there to help and guide students in their classes. The more questions that are asked will display that students are eager to learn and understand the material. Going to office hours is also very important, that is where students will show dedication to doing well in the class and also have the opportunity to get extra help.  

Self-care and mental health days are very imperative during the semester and even more so now that we will no longer be in the comfort of our own homes. Make sure to take time to oneself to see friends and have fun, instead of focusing solely on school. Doing so will cause burnout, which leaves students drained and not doing well in school by default. Be sure to not bite off more than one can chew and remember it is okay to go at one's own pace. 

Adjusting back to school after summer and in-person school after a year and a half of being home will be challenging for students and professors alike. Luckily we are all in the same boat and can help each other along the way. 

Have a wonderful first semester back Cougars! 

Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

lukasja@kean.edu

Jaclyn Lukas is an English major with a concentration in writing. She joined The Cougar’s Byte staff in Spring 2021. After her time at Kean, Jaclyn hopes to start her professional career in publishing for books or newspapers/magazines.