Spiking Their Way Into The NJAC

Women's Volleyball fighting hard to have a great season and get to the NJAC

Features > Spiking Their Way Into The NJAC
Spiking Their Way Into The NJAC
Women's Volleyball Team 2021
Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

With students returning to campus, sports at Kean University is in full swing and Women’s Volleyball is no exception. The girls have been doing amazing this season on and off of campus, giving their opponents a battle every-time they step onto the court. With only five more games left in their season, there's no telling what these Cougars will accomplish. 

The Women’s Volleyball team has had a total of 23 games thus far, winning 14 of them and losing 9. Within the following week Women’s Volleyball will be versing Rowan, and Gwynedd Mercy University at Kean University and Manhattanville College in Purchase, NY. Given their record for the games played thus far, there is no doubt that these Cougars will end their season on a high note. 

Coach Don Perkins, who has been coaching women’s Volleyball at Kean since 2009 said, “At this point we have won seven in a row, we have the fourth strongest strength of schedule in the region and are ranked among the best teams in the region. We've had this kind of success before but not with so many freshmen and sophomores playing important roles. It's definitely an exciting time for the program and we really do feel like we are on the brink of something really good.” 

Things getting back to normal on campus means that sports can start to get back to normal too. With almost everyone on campus being vaccinated, players and fans can feel better about gathering together to play and support. There are still precautions everyone must take to ensure the safety of themselves and others. These including: 

• Staying home if not feeling well

• Reporting any positive COVID-19 results 

• Wiping down equipment after use 

• Wearing masks when mandatory 

• Cannot travel on the bus to road games (unvaccinated students) 

• Not allowed in the locker room (unvaccinated students) 

So far this season Women’s Volleyball has had a total of 2507 attacks, 879 kills, 11.9 kills/sets, 823 assists, 11.1 assists/set, 171 aces, 2.3 aces/set, 1142 digs, 15.4 digs/set, 29 solo blocks, 218 block assists, 138 total blocks, and 1.9 blocks/set. 

The team leaders throughout the season have included: 

Attack

• Kayla Thorton 

• Ashley Smith 

• Anne Beckemeyer 

• Taylor Micheaux 

Set (by A) 

• Kylie Brua 

• Gwen Hangey 

• Amanda DeLio 

• Sedona Gaard 

Blocks

• Anna Beckemeyer 

• Kayla Thorton 

• Morgan Hall 

• Kylie Brua 

Points 

• Kayla Thorton 

• Ashley Smith 

• Anne Beckemeyer 

• Taylor Micheaux 

Kills 

• Kayla Thorton 

• Ashley Smith 

• Anne Beckemeyer 

• Taylor Micheaux 

Serves 

• Kylie Brua 

• Sedona Gaard 

• Ashley Smith 

• Morgan Hall 

Defense 

• Amanda DeLio 

• Sedona Gaard 

• Kylie Brua 

• Ashley Smith 

Recept (by TA) 

• Amanda DeLio 

• Sedona Gaard 

• Madi DeMartini 

• Sian Seeger 

When asked about his expectations for the rest of the season, Perkins responded, “We will be the forth seed in the NJAC tournament, which means we get a home game in the first round and then would have to go on the road twice. It's a lot to ask for a young team but I think the ability is here to knock off a team or two, so our goal, as always, is to win the NJAC.” 

Getting back to normal has been an adjustment but a relief for everyone on and around campus, especially the sports at Kean. Being back to the swing of things has obviously benefited these Cougars and made for a riveting return. 

Have a great rest of the season ladies!

Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

lukasja@kean.edu

Jaclyn Lukas is an English major with a concentration in writing. She joined The Cougar’s Byte staff in Spring 2021. After her time at Kean, Jaclyn hopes to start her professional career in publishing for books or newspapers/magazines.