Calling All Playwrights To Premiere Stages!

Playwrights at Kean have the opportunity to win the Bauer Boucher Award

Campus Life > Calling All Playwrights To Premiere Stages!
Premiere Stages staff members with John Bauer and Nancy Boucher.
Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

W. John Bauer and Nancy Boucher established The Bauer Boucher Playwriting Awards in 2014 to recognize one Kean student and one Kean alumni for their work each year. This award supports the writers who are awarded it in enhanced visibility, dramaturgical feedback, a cash award and the opportunity to hear their plays read out loud by an ensemble of professional actors. This is an amazing opportunity for young writers to have their work put out into the world and get a jumpstart to their career. 

Every fall, writers who are currently students or have graduated from Kean University, can submit their work to Premiere Stages at a chance to be awarded for their play in January. The submissions are read by the staff of Premiere Stages, along with a select group of playwrights, theatre professionals and educators. 

Education and Play Festival Manager for Premiere Stages, Nick Gandiello explains what Premiere Stages hopes for this award and the students who win it, “We hope that this encourages the voices of Kean students and alumni, giving them a venue to express themselves truthfully. We also hope it instills a sense of pride and enthusiasm in the community for the high level of artistry to be found at Kean.” 

The current student winner will receive a $1,000 award and the alumni winner will receive a $2,000 award, both will get one-day developmental readings of their plays with professional casts and directors. Additional playwrights can be selected as finalists and awarded $100. 

The submission guidelines include: 

• Submissions are accepted Nov. 12 through 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 13. 

• Playwrights must be current students in good academic standing or graduates of Kean University. 

• Plays must be unpublished and have never received a professional production. 

• Scripts must be one-acts, full length or solo shows. 

• Scripts that are incomplete must contain at least 25 pages and attach a scene breakdown for the entire play. 

• Previous winning plays and finalist plays are ineligible.

• Playwrights must be available for the development of their script (see schedule). 

• All plays must be submitted as a PDF via email to pfsubmit@kean.edu. Hard copies not accepted 

Gandiello said, “This award highlights the unique relationship between Premiere Stages and Kean University, giving students and alumni a chance to work with theatre industry professionals right here on campus and beyond.

There are a few things that writers should be including along with their plays when submitting their work. Such things like a brief synopsis of the play (no more than half a page), character breakdown, the playwright's bio/resume and script (or as much of the script is currently written & scene breakdown of full play). 

Ganiello explained, “The best place to go for more information is our website. E-mails are also sent out to the Theatre Conservatory, to all alumni and fliers will be posted around campus. Keep an eye out! And please email premiere@kean.edu with any questions.”

Good Luck Playwrights! 

Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

lukasja@kean.edu

Jaclyn Lukas is an English major with a concentration in writing. She joined The Cougar’s Byte staff in Spring 2021. After her time at Kean, Jaclyn hopes to start her professional career in publishing for books or newspapers/magazines.