It's The Finals Countdown

As the end of the semester is shortly approaching, the Tutoring Center is here to Help

Essentials > It's The Finals Countdown
It's The Finals Countdown
The Tutoring Center offers many services to students who need assistance.
Photo Courtesy of Kean University.
Taylor Battle, Staff Writer

Congratulations cougars, the fall semester is almost completed! Now all students have to do is get past finals week, but not to worry because Kean University's Tutoring Center is here to help.

Kean University’s Tutoring Center is a service that involves subject-based tutoring for all who come. This service provides assistance in learning and focuses on helping students better understand their lessons. The Tutoring Center is a vital program for those who may need help with any of their course work.

The Tutoring Center helps in three different areas: Tutoring Services, Writing Services and the Public Speaking Lab. Each area is formed with tutors who can help students in those specific subjects. Zorel Morales, a writing and public speaking tutor, is one of many students who mentor during the semester. 

“We help them to plan out their review sheets and what they’re going to be seeing in their exams,” Morales explains. 

Many of the tutors at the center are students who are highly educated in their subjects. As a tutor, they work with students to organize their coursework, develop their academic skills and create useful studying habits. However, those who come for help, shouldn’t expect the tutors to have all the answers or all the things they need for the class. 

“The slides that were provided, notetaking from their classes or textbooks, we ask them to bring all their materials,” says Morales.

When students bring in their work, tutors are able to use this material as the foundation for their sessions. By seeing what their class is currently working on, tutors can determine the best way to help them prepare for exams. Tutors will use a variety of methods that will best assist the students.

“We help them do a study cheat…we've helped students before with flashcards,” Morales says, listing ways that have helped in the past. “With past exams [if students bring them in], we can see what they’re going to be tested on and what they need to focus on.” 

During a tutoring session, students will have an hour of assistance from their assigned tutor. In this time, the tutor will see what one’s trouble areas are and help them understand their work. In the appointment, 50 minutes are used for tutoring and 10 minutes are used for preparation and last-minute questions.

On the first floor of Nancy Thompson Library, room L-108, students can come into the center and book an appointment. When booking an appointment with a receptionist, students can request a service and choose a time that works for them. While the center offers walk-ins, it is highly encouraged that a student picks a time in advance. 

“I always recommend that they book their appointments two weeks in advance,” Morales says. “We have a lot of appointments, so we see a lot of traffic coming into the tutoring center.” 

If meeting in person is a challenge, the Tutoring Center also has online tutoring. Online tutoring is similar to in-person sessions and focuses on the same areas. By scheduling an appointment online, students can also pick times outside of the library’s operation hours. 

“Online tutoring is mostly provided at night since the library closes at 8 p.m.,” says Morales. “There are appointments until 10 p.m. and they are fully online.”

For more information, students can go to the library website, book an appointment through TutorTrac or call (908) 737-4793.

Knowing that finals are a difficult time, the Tutoring Center and its members are here for Kean University students to support them in succeeding through their academic classes. With the semester almost at an end, students still have the ability to reach out and utilize services like these.

Good luck with finals cougars!  

Taylor Battle, Staff Writer

battlet@kean.edu

Taylor Battle is a junior pursuing a major in English with a writing option. Taylor joined The Cougar’s Byte in Spring 2021 with the position of a Staff Writer. She has a passion for the arts including music, art, literature and theater. She also is dedicated to helping her fellow colleagues to the best of her abilities. After graduating Kean, Taylor inspires to start a career in either journalism or publication.