Show Off That Thread, On the Day We Wear Red

Kean Students and Staff are Encouraged to "Wear Red" on February 4th, to Show Support for Cardiovascular Disease and Heart Health

Campus Life > Show Off That Thread, On the Day We Wear Red
Students with the Cougar Mascot from 2018's National Wear Red Day sport the color red to support the national movement to end heart disease and stroke in women.
Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

On Feb. 4, Wear Red is a national day that helps to promote awareness for heart disease and stroke in women. Kean University hosts this event in partnership with the American Heart Association who fight against heart disease. Heart disease is one of the leading causes of death across the country for both men and women. This day was created to bring more attention to heart disease because it has now become a greater issue among women. 

Women are dying at a rate of almost one per minute. In the United States alone, one in every four deaths is related to having cardiovascular disease or a stroke because of circumstances in a person's health that they may or may not be able to control. Cardiovascular disease is a heart condition that involves diseased vessels, structural problems and blood clots within the body. 

Some of the health risks associated with this disease, include but are not limited to:  

• Coronary Heart Disease 

• High Blood Pressure 

• Cardiac Arrest 

• Congestive Heart Failure 

• Arrhythmia 

• Peripheral Artery Disease 

• Stroke 

• Congenital Heart Disease 

Students can join the Center for Leadership and Service for these upcoming events that will take place on campus across this week:

The events both in person and virtual will help promote awareness for cardiovascular disease and the importance of heart health. 

Managing Assistant Director for Community Service and Civic Engagement, Susan Figueroa stated "On Wear Red Day, supporters wear their favorite red clothing, red shoes or accessories in order to stand together to encourage others to take preventative actions for the sake of their heart’s health."

Along with wearing red, students and staff are invited to participate in the Wear Red Day Walk around campus to demonstrate support for Women’s Heart Health. All those who volunteer are encouraged to wear red while they walk. For the first time in a year, this event will be able to happen in person and supporters can once again walk beside each other. 

Participants are encouraged to wear masks, even though this is an outdoor event, it is still on campus. Attendance at this event will be recorded through an event pass that can be found on Cougar Link. 

For more information students can visit Cougar Link or contact serve@kean.edu if students or staff have any questions. 

Take a Walk For a Good Cause!

Jaclyn Lukas, Staff Writer

lukasja@kean.edu

Jaclyn Lukas is an English major with a concentration in writing. She joined The Cougar’s Byte staff in Spring 2021. After her time at Kean, Jaclyn hopes to start her professional career in publishing for books or newspapers/magazines.