Be The Voice for Kean

Kean University's Board of Trustees is Accepting Applicants to be the Next Student Representative

Homepage > Essentials > Be The Voice for Kean
Be The Voice for Kean
The Board of Trustees is looking for interested students to become the next Student Representative for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Photo Courtesy of Student Affairs
Taylor Battle, Staff Writer

Kean University’s Board of Trustees is holding elections for anyone interested in being a student representative. This is an incredible opportunity for anyone looking to participate more in the community and to be the voice for all Kean students. 

Being a student representative to the Board of Trustees is a very important role. A student representative gets to contribute to the Board of Trustees meetings and act as a bridge between the board and the student body. With this position, students can make a difference in their Kean community. 

“Since I came to Kean, I have always dreamed of making a difference,” said Chris Sclafani, former Alternate Student Trustee, about his reason for joining. “I noticed the more involved I became, the better my grades got.”

This position can create great change on campus, but it will require a lot of hard work and dedication. The board is looking for two representatives who are willing to do a two-year term. There are also many qualifications one must have for the position including:

• Being a full-time student with good standing
  • Having no history of any student conduct violations
  • Being 18 years of age or older
  • Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75

These are only a few of the requirements needed for the position. To learn more about the eligibility, interested students can visit the Student Trustees page on the Kean website. 

While there are many requirements, there are also many benefits to the position. Not only can a student be the voice for their campus, but they can also gain experience that they can’t get anywhere else. 

“During my time as the Alternate Student Trustee I have learned a plethora of information about what goes into university planning at Kean as well as other higher educational experience,” Sclafani said. “During my time, I have gotten to work hand in hand with our University President Dr. Repollet, Ed.D. and his team of senior vice presidents as well as our Vice President of Student Affairs, Matt Caruso.” 

Interested students must apply for the position by 2 p.m. Friday, March 4. The application process is online and must be submitted via Cougarlink. Before applying for the position, there are a few things applicants should know.

“Have an open mind, you are not going to know everything,” advises Sclafani. “When applying, be honest, state things you would like to work on and how this position is going to help you.”

For anyone who needs more information about the position, they can go to Cougarlink to learn more. Additionally, if anyone has any further questions, applicants are free to contact the Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs at (908) 737-5260 or visit Room 303 of Miron Student Center.

“Good luck,” said Sclafani. “Although this position and the regard that our board of trustees holds can be a bit intimidating, we are all mended together for the same goal, our love of Kean.”

Taylor Battle, Staff Writer

battlet@kean.edu

Taylor Battle is a junior pursuing a major in English with a writing option. Taylor joined The Cougar’s Byte in Spring 2021 with the position of a Staff Writer. She has a passion for the arts including music, art, literature and theater. She also is dedicated to helping her fellow colleagues to the best of her abilities. After graduating Kean, Taylor inspires to start a career in either journalism or publication.