Declaring Your Major and Minor

Major and Minor Exploration Fair is a Helpful tool for Students Looking to Change their Area of Study

Campus Life > Declaring Your Major and Minor
Declaring Your Major and Minor
The Major and Minor Exploration Fair lets students learn more about the prograrms that Kean University has to offer.
Photo Courtesy of the Center for Advising, Persistence and Success.
Taylor Battle, Staff Writer

The Major and Minor Exploration Fair helps guide undecided students on the paths that lead them to their future. An event like this is the best way for students to get an idea and have an understanding of the major or minor that is best for them. 

This tabling event helps students decide and reconsider their area of study. Students can connect with many academic programs and learn more about the different departments. Participants can also speak to representatives about the requirements for each major and minor. 

“It’s a great opportunity for information gathering to help in the decision-making process,” said Dawn Marie Dowd, associate director of sophomores, Center for Advising, Persistence and Success. “Attendees can speak directly to faculty and department representatives to help in understanding major requirements and ask questions in relation to career opportunities within specific fields.”

All Kean students were able to participate and attend the event. However, the Major and Minor Exploration Fair was mainly for undecided students and those considering a change in study. 

“Students have the opportunity to connect with various academic programs at Kean University,” said Dowd. “This event is perfect for undecided students, students who are reconsidering their academic program of study, and students who are looking to declare a minor." 

Making the decision for changing one’s major or minor can be quite stressful. It can be even worse when trying to find one that fits most with a student’s interest. For students struggling to decide, Dowd has provided the following advice for finding a major or minor: 

• Self-exploration is a key place to start.
  • Do some major and career exploration research 
  • Reach out to someone in the field of interest to learn more about the profession.
  • Participate in unique opportunities that will help you find your interests and develop valuable skills

For those who missed this event, students can visit the Undecided/Exploratory Student page on the Center for Advising, Persistence and Success (CAPS) webpage for additional resources and information.

While the fair has ended, it is still important for students to make decisions when it comes to the degree they want to pursue. Choosing a major or a minor is a vital part of college and greatly prepares students for their future careers. 

“The best person to contact would be your assigned program or faculty advisor assigned to you in the student experience who can help give direction,” Dowd advises for students still looking to change their major or minor. Don’t forget to complete the Major/Minor Status Change Form with the required signatures to formally declare your major or minor program.” 

For more information about declaring a major or minor, student are free to contact Dawn Marie Dowd, associate director of sophomores, CAPS at ddowd@kean.edu  or Gwen Beloti, GE transition courses coordinator, SGS at sbeloti@kean.edu  

Taylor Battle, Staff Writer

battlet@kean.edu

Taylor Battle is a junior pursuing a major in English with a writing option. Taylor joined The Cougar’s Byte in Spring 2021 with the position of a Staff Writer. She has a passion for the arts including music, art, literature and theater. She also is dedicated to helping her fellow colleagues to the best of her abilities. After graduating Kean, Taylor inspires to start a career in either journalism or publication.