Celebrating Black Excellence

Kean University will kickoff Black History Month on Wednesday, February 1.

Homepage > Campus News > Celebrating Black Excellence
Celebrating Black Excellence
Students, faculty, and staff celebrate Black History Month at Kean University.
Taylor Battle, Staff Writer

In February, students can expect to see numerous events dedicated to celebrating Black history. On Wednesday, February 1, Kean University will kick off Black History Month by celebrating Black excellence for the entire day.

The Kean community can expect two major events to happen on the first of the month. The first event is The Celebration of Black History and the second is the Black History Month Kickoff.

Commencing at 10 a.m. in the Miron Student Center, The Celebration of Black History aims to enlighten students about the historical importance of the month through wax figures. The National Great Blacks in Wax Museum Inc. is graciously contributing some of their sculptures for the event. Located in Baltimore, Maryland, the museum aims to educate communities about African American history through wax figures. 

“A primary motivation for establishing America’s first African American history wax museum was to ‘use education, history, and example to help culturally disadvantaged youth overcome feelings of alienation, defeatism, and despair,’” said The National Great Blacks in Wax Museum Inc. on their website. 

At the event, Museum Founder Dr. Joanne Martin will be attending as the keynote speaker. To learn more about the museum and all it has to offer, students can visit their website for reservations, virtual tours, support, and more. 

Like all events on campus, many organizations play a role in creating unique experiences for Kean University students. For The Celebration of Black History, the following groups came together to make this event possible:

• Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
  • Haitian Student Association
  • Pan-African Student Union
  • Alpha Phi Alpha
  • Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated
  • Kean Gospel Choir

In hand with The Celebration of Black History is the Black History Month Kickoff. At 3:30 p.m., the Pan-African Student Union, the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Alpha Phi Alpha will be raising the Pan-African flag in the Miron Student Center Plaza.

“The Pan-African flag was created in 1920 by Marcus Garvey to represent the strength and courage of all people of African descent,” said the Pan-African Student Union through the Cougar Link event page. 

To accompany the raising of the flag, Kean Gospel Choir will perform “Lift Every Voice and Sing” in Miron Student Center, Room 226. Students will also be welcomed to learn more about Black history in this same space. 

Black History Month is truly an important time to reflect and celebrate African American history. Kean University invites all to experience this kickoff event as well as the others happening throughout the month.

Taylor Battle, Staff Writer

battlet@kean.edu

Taylor Battle is a junior pursuing a major in English with a writing option. Taylor joined The Cougar’s Byte in Spring 2021 with the position of a Staff Writer. She has a passion for the arts including music, art, literature and theater. She also is dedicated to helping her fellow colleagues to the best of her abilities. After graduating Kean, Taylor inspires to start a career in either journalism or publication.