The Next Generation Of Leadership

The future is bright for Marius Price

Features > The Next Generation Of Leadership
The Next Generation Of Leadership

Marius Price, freshman at Kean University

Marcus Van Diver

Price is not the average freshman. It sounds cliche, but it is absolutely true. 

A psychology major from Ewing, N.J., Scott Price, widely known as "Marius", has become involved with multiple organizations and has given himself many opportunities to stay active on campus. 

"My freshman year's been pretty good so far," said Price. "One of the things that I was told was that your happiness is directly proportionate to your involvement. The more involved I got, the more friends I've made, adding to the fun."

The freshman is here to connect and make long-lasting friendships with his classmates and university peers, but that is not his only intent. 

From working in the Office of Admissions to participating in the Bronze Leadership Program while planning to run for sophomore class president , Price is here to make an impact on Kean University any way he can.

When asked why he has been involved so much in just these past three months, Price replied, "I want to be a face that people can recognize and go to. I've had many mentors, especially in the CLS [Center for Leadership and Service]. What I've realized is, the sooner you can get involved, the better, because you set yourself up for success."

All of these occupations for a freshman do not sound easy to the average student, but Price is willing to do the difficult work to build success for the future.

He is willing to work hard, to the point that his hours exceed the college hour!  

From having classes from 11 a.m to 3 p.m., to having to work in the Office of University Admissions and with the T2K Bronze Leadership Program on a daily basis, Price's schedule is full. However, it is nothing he cannot handle. 

Throughout his time at Ewing High School, Price cited the fact that he gained little experience in community service, and that the chance to volunteer and help others would be an honor. 

He has big plans -- exceeding those in just the classroom. He wishes to eventually be elected the president of Student Organization, the full-time undergraduate student government, become part of the Platinum Leadership Program and a Residential Assistant for the Office of Residential Student Services as well.  

"Maybe it is a little selfish. I want to be the poster child to a degree, but I grew up knowing that, if you can, you should. So if anyone can be that individual that helps others, why not me," said Price. "The end goal is to be someone that people can look for when they need advice. I'd like to hear someone say, 'Oh, you need help with that? Go to Marius'."

Additionally, studying psychology continues to prepare him for the next level of leadership. The psychology aspect, as he says, allows him to interact with his peers and teach himself about his own weaknesses and setbacks, while turning them into learning experiences. 

Price credited the fact that his many lessons in life and his major taught him how to communicate and relate with people of all different backgrounds when in conflict. Also, Price mentioned getting expelled from Phillips Exeter Academy -- a private school that John F. Kennedy attended -- and the life lessons he gained when conflict arose.  

"I've messed up more times than I can count in life, but my knowledge in taking psychology allowed me to take a look at why I made those mistakes growing up, as well as realizing what I need to do to change those failures into successes," said Price. "That is what has gotten me this far, and going forward, I would say that [the psychology major] is going to help me in adapting."

He plans on attending graduate school after earning his undergraduate degree, but has not decided to either attend here or elsewhere. 

As for now, he is studying psychology with a pre-med track. Ultimately, Price wants to become a psychiatrist after he gets his degree.

He specifically wants to work on the language obstacle in psychiatry, due to his parents' hearing barriers. Amazingly, Price speaks five different languages -- the first language being sign language. His lingual literacy includes the ability to speak conversationally in Spanish and French, and read and write in Latin and Japanese.

Price noted that central N.J., the area in which he resides, has a large population of Spanish and deaf people. He found one common issue facing these people: a majority are unable to get the help they need psychologically, through therapy or psychiatry, due to the expensiveness of an interpreter.

"I feel like I can help these people directly because not only would I be able to deal with them directly without the need for an outside expensive interpreter, the fact that somebody in the area speaks their language and is willing to help them through these issues, I think that speaks volumes," said Price. "In a way, my career is going to benefit me and my community." 

Whether it be within his leadership positions on campus, in the field of psychology or even while lending a helping hand for anyone who needs it, Price's open mind and selflessness will take him far in the world. 

The sky is the limit for this 19 year old. 

Van Diver Marcus - web

Marcus Van Diver, Staff Writer
vandivem@kean.edu

Marcus Van Diver, a senior majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media, has been a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte since October of 2016. He has aspirations of working in the field of sports media and wishes to be a broadcaster, journalist or radio host for any major news corporation. His hobbies include, reading, exercising and playing sports. He is an avid fan of his New York Giants, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia Phillies and New York Rangers.