Come Celebrate The Life Of Dr. Martin Luther King

Office of Africana Studies hosts its annual recognition of Dr. King

Campus News > Come Celebrate The Life Of Dr. Martin Luther King
Marcus Van Diver

African American History Month officially begins in a couple of weeks, and the Office of Africana Studies is kicking off this historic month with its annual Dr. Martin Luther King Celebration on Thursday, January 26, 2017 at the Miron Student Center (MSC) Little Theatre. 

At this celebration, the life of the civil rights icon will be remembered and memorialized for his feats in uniting a segregated southern United States during the 1960s. 

Reverend Manuel K. Donelson, the lead pastor of the Expect Miracles Ministry in Linden, N.J., will be the keynote speaker at this gathering. He will give a lecture titled "Confined but not Convicted: A Letter From Birmingham Jail," which is intended to make those in attendance understand the trials and tribulations Dr. King had to overcome to achieve equality for all people. 

From 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., students, alumni, faculty and family members are encouraged to experience the celebration of life for one of the most prolific leaders in the history of humanity.

The Office of Africana Studies has focused on the history, culture, environment, philosophies, aspirations and achievements in time by people of African descent. The Africana Studies subject examines the traditional disciplines of African heritage. Also, the courses regarding this major are designed to present issues, personalities and trends leading to an understanding of this field of study.

For more questions about this event, contact the Office of Africana Studies by emailing Africanastudies@kean.edu or calling 908-737-3915.

Van Diver Marcus - web

Marcus Van Diver, Staff Writer
vandivem@kean.edu

Marcus Van Diver, a senior majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media, has been a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte since October of 2016. He has aspirations of working in the field of sports media and wishes to be a broadcaster, journalist or radio host for any major news corporation. His hobbies include, reading, exercising and playing sports. He is an avid fan of his New York Giants, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia Phillies and New York Rangers.