Get Ready For Kean Research Days!

Annual festival commemorating creative activity will take place during the spring semester

Campus News > Get Ready For Kean Research Days!
Get Ready For Kean Research Days!
Students and faculty will present their research during the two-day event inside the Science, Technology and Math (STEM) Building.
Marcus Van Diver

Want to leave a creative lasting impression on campus? The annual Research Days are the perfect opportunity do so.

Kean University students are encouraged to register for the 2017 Research Days, sponsored by The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP).

Dedicated to the creativity and innovation of Kean University students, this yearly event provides students the opportunity to present initial or completed research projects to the Kean community. From oral presentations and posters to exhibits and performances, those participating are free to be as creative as possible.

Individual and team projects can be submitted, and this two-day function is open to undergraduate and graduate students.

The dates of the event are Tuesday, April 25, 2017 and Wednesday, April 26, 2017. The event will take place inside the Science Technology and Math (STEM) Building located across the street from the main campus. The kickoff to the two-day festival of creativity will take place on that Tuesday at 9:30 a.m.

The scheduled events are listed as follows: 

On Tuesday, a keynote speaker will give a motivational speech about the many ideas students and faculty have and how they can be used to make the world a better place. The speech will take place inside of the STEM auditorium.

Shortly after, Faculty Research Day will commence. Faculty members will present their projects and theses to the Kean community through lectures and panels. These presentations, given by tenured faculty members, will aim to raise discussions about innovative ideas.

On Wednesday, students will be given the opportunity to present their ideas during the ever-popular Student Research Day. These presentations will conclude the 2017 Research Days. This day will begin at 8:30 a.m. and conclude at 7 p.m.

Be aware that the registration deadline for student presentations is Monday, February 27, 2017. For students interested in signing up for this experience, open-minds and effort result in the best research projects.

The Kean community are not the only guests welcome to observe or participate. Various high schools in the area are also invited to bring their students to watch the presentations during these two days.

Throughout the events, Kean University will recognize the most significant research achievements with the Faculty Research Member of the Year and the Undergraduate Student Researcher of the Year awards.

Those who already have an idea of what they want to present through proper research are welcome to present their "work-in-progress" information. Original data collection and creative work under the supervision of a Kean University staff member can be accepted as entries.

What is the best part about the Research Days? There is no single topic of research a student or faculty member can look into. They can vary, depending on a student's major or a faculty member's plan of work. Here are some memorable recent student entries:

• Angelina Calafiore, 2016 (Criminal Justice) - "The Effectiveness or Ineffectiveness of Bullying Laws in Today's Modern Society"
  • Max Friedman, 2015 (Graphic Design) - "Design Fundamentals: An Innovative Approach to Learning from Textbooks"
  • Marjorie Slass, 2015 (Psychology) - "Emotion Regulation, Self-Concept and Quality of Life of Siblings of Children with Autism and Related Disorders"
  • Luis Jiminez, 2014 (Computer Science) - "Evaluating Visual Programming to Teach Computing to High School Students"

From poster resources to information on the keynote speaker, more details can be found online. To register and learn more about the 2017 Kean Research Days, visit the official Research Days website.

Van Diver Marcus - web

Marcus Van Diver, Staff Writer
vandivem@kean.edu

Marcus Van Diver, a senior majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media, has been a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte since October of 2016. He has aspirations of working in the field of sports media and wishes to be a broadcaster, journalist or radio host for any major news corporation. His hobbies include, reading, exercising and playing sports. He is an avid fan of his New York Giants, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia Phillies and New York Rangers.