Let's Get "Greek-y"

Kean University's per-semester favorite Meet the Greeks is back!

Campus Life > Let's Get "Greek-y"
Marcus Van Diver

At 5:58 p.m. on Wednesday, January 25, 2017, lines filled with friends, family and members of the student body stuffed the lengthy hallway on the first floor of D'Angola Gymnasium.

The attendees of this event were anxiously waiting for entrance into Harwood Arena. From the activity of the ticket line to the purchasing of beverages and snacks at the concession stand to the Center of Leadership and Service (CLS) employees working, everything was going smoothly.

All of this meant only one thing: Meet the Greeks (MTG) had returned for another semester at Kean University!

This past Wednesday, Kean University hosted its ever-popular Greek showcase for its spring semester edition. This evening saw the display of the Greek organizations that Kean University has to offer.

While featuring lively music from DJ Nix in the Mix, the event was filled with strolls, steps and introductions from just about all of the 30 fraternities and sororities on campus.

Attendees were treated to a night filled with fun and memories that will leave a lasting impression on those who wanted to know a little more about what these many organizations were about. From 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., they were given the opportunity to walk around the Harwood Arena Gym floor and go to each table, all occupied by a different fraternity or sorority.  

The Greek organizations seemed to pride themselves on leaving a lasting impression on the students that came to their table. Justin Fuentes, a brother of the Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, attested to this fact.

"For our fraternity--and everyone else's group--this is about survival, to keep our organization alive. [MTG] is an event to keep the Greek attraction going and it will appeal to people that want it to grow," said Fuentes.

Many other Greeks also agreed that this night was very important to their organizations, as well as to improving the Greek unity on Kean University's campuses. 

"It is like another world," said Nina Townsend, education major and proud sister of the Mu Sigma Upsilon Sorority. "I love being with all of my other fraternities and sororities because it is like one big family!"

Other greeks such as Iota Phi Theta's Anthony Samuels, a new member of the organization, would also agree.

"It really is important to get people to see us as an organization as well as other Greek [organizations] so that they know what is around them," Samuels commented. 

Harwood Arena was filled with a variety of students. Some were young and inquisitive freshmen who wanted to get involved on campus, and others were upperclassmen hoping to join a fraternity or sorority before they graduate.

Madelyn Hernandez, freshman psychology major, noted her first experience at MTG as something to consider if she ever decided to join a campus organization. 

“I was able to walk to a couple of tables, but there were so many that it was hard to remember them all!” Hernandez said. “My experiences in talking to them were pretty good. They made me think about the commitments I can plan to make in the future throughout college. So I will definitely think about this.”

Many upperclassmen who wished to gain more knowledge about the different organizations on campus were also present at this event including Joseph Pena, junior global fitness and wellness major, who attended his first MTG on Wednesday.

“This is my first time here, so I was just checking it out to get an idea. Everything was spread out so nicely," Pena commented. "So will I join a fraternity? Maybe."

This year's MTG also saw a variety of table designs used to attract prospective members. The Omega Sigma Psi Sorority showcased a Disney theme for its table. The brothers of the Nu Delta Pi Fraternity displayed its large, green letters atop the Harwood Arena floor. The Sigma Beta Tau Fraternity table showcased blue and golden trophies and awards to the crowd.

However, as diverse as these organizations were, they all shared two things in common: their creativity and passion. It were these two aspects that attracted potential members to the organization of their dreams.

Shortly after 7 p.m., the many meet-and-greets concluded and students, faculty, friends, family and alumni were seated. It was time for those who did not get a chance to walk to the different tables to "Meet the Greeks!"

As they were announced to the stage, all Greek organizations at the event gave a formal introduction that explained the name of the group and gave some background on their organization. The theme of the introductions revolved around the ideas of diversity and true brotherhood or sisterhood. 

Sigma Beta Tau was the first to go on stage, saying that joining their fraternity would be a brotherhood that lasts for life. The Sigma Beta Chi Sorority promoted unity in diversity, claiming “we can stand out and still stand together.”

The fraternity Gamma Psi Epsilon's spoke to the crowd about being an organization that helps one another like family, and the sorority Beta Kappa Sigma preached the importance of "strengthening sisterhood and unity as a whole."

Soon after each fraternity and sorority gave their introductions, 13 of the organizations performed exciting strolls and step shows for the crowd to enjoy.

From the sisters of Lambda Theta Alpha setting fire to the stage to the brothers of Omega Psi Phi closing out the show with an enthusiastic finish, this was a show students will never forget. 

Also, those who came out to support the Greeks did not just leave with the satisfying experience, but the good feeling that came with giving back as well. With the combination of the ticket sales and the raffle that took place throughout the evening, the Kean Dance Marathon (KDM), a day-long dancing party to raise money and awareness for the Children's Specialized Hospital taking place in April, raised over $4,700! 

So, if any student wishes to join a brotherhood or sisterhood at this school, there are certain guidelines that have to be followed. A student must possess a minimum grade point average of 2.5 and have completed a minimum of 12 credits at Kean University.

More information about new member guidelines can be found here.

Van Diver Marcus - web

Marcus Van Diver, Staff Writer
vandivem@kean.edu

Marcus Van Diver, a senior majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media, has been a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte since October of 2016. He has aspirations of working in the field of sports media and wishes to be a broadcaster, journalist or radio host for any major news corporation. His hobbies include, reading, exercising and playing sports. He is an avid fan of his New York Giants, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia Phillies and New York Rangers.