Feeding The Community Of New Jersey

Ending the semester with a helping hand

Features > Feeding The Community Of New Jersey
Feeding The Community Of New Jersey
Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

At the tail end of both finals week and the 2017 spring semester, students had one more opportunity to lend a helping hand in the community before they dove headfirst into summer break. Like many times before, the Center for Leadership and Success organized a volunteer event at the Community Food Bank of New Jersey on May 12, 2017.

The Community Food Bank of New Jersey is focused on providing food and education to those who have been afflicted by hunger and poverty. As a member of Feeding America and with a location in both Hillside and Egg Harbor Township, the food bank services a myriad of families and individuals across neighboring counties by distributing food through various programs such as the Mobile Pantry. Furnishing families with bounties of food is extremely important to the Community Food Bank of New Jersey. However, they also emphasize educating those stricken by poverty and hunger, about how to deal with food insecurity and poverty. Through their Nutrition Program, the food bank informs families on how to improve both their dietary intake and their overall health.

In addition to their programs, the Community Food Bank of New Jersey offers many opportunities to volunteer. Donating funds is a crucial mode of volunteering that people often overlook. Ever since its inception in 1982, the food bank has provided approximately $1 billion worth of food to those stricken by poverty and hunger. This is a tremendous accomplishment that comes at a price. Thus, donating funds is an important way to volunteer at the food bank. Another way to volunteer is by donating food. Both group and individual donations of foods are welcomed by the Community Food Bank of New Jersey. Lastly, the most recognizable way to volunteer, is by donating your time and effort to aid the organization. Again, groups, families and individuals are encouraged to sign up to volunteer.

The Center for Leadership and Service at Kean University volunteered at the Community Food Bank of New Jersey right before the spring semester ended, but that is not the last time they will serve at the food bank. The Center for Leadership and Service is constantly setting up volunteer opportunities at the food bank and other organizations. Keeping students involved in the community is one of the priorities of the Center for Leadership and Service. More importantly, its volunteer opportunities like the food bank that allow students to put others before themselves, which is rare in a culture that is heavily self-centered.

If you're interested in learning more about the Community Food Bank of New Jersey or about its volunteering opportunities, visit the Community food Banks of New Jersey.

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.