More Than Just Books

A student guide to the library

Features > More Than Just Books
More Than Just Books

The Nancy Thompson Library houses many vital resources available to students 

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

The Nancy Thompson Library is Kean University's very own library designed to meet the educational needs of students and faculty. Located in the center of Kean University, the library contains a comprehensive print and online collection accessible through the library's website.

More than just a hub for books and articles, the Nancy Thompson Library provides an environment that is suitable for all types of learning and research. The library seeks to augment student's critical and creative thinking in all facets of education. 

To borrow books, students are required to have a Kean student ID with a library barcode. To obtain a library barcode, students must head to the circulation desk located on the first floor of the library and request for a library barcode.

The barcode will be placed on the back of their Kean ID, and it will permit students to not only borrow books and other course materials but to also reserve study rooms located in the library.

For information on book loan limits, late fees and reserve materials, read their circulation policies.

Not only does the library contain over 625,000 volumes of print and e-books, the library also contains the Student Technology Laboratory (STL). The STL is located in L-114, where it is equipped with computers, laptops, printers and headsets available to students with valid student ID. 

Ultimately, the STL is a place where students can use the computers and printers to complete academic work. Moreover, it provides essential software support for Microsoft Office products. For student lab hours and the lab policy of the STL, visit the website.  

The library also provides study rooms for students. With the study rooms only available to Kean students, students can meet together to work on projects, collaborate on presentations and study for upcoming exams. Rooms can be reserved by students for two hours and, if necessary and available, be reserved for an extra two hours.

The circulation staff meets the needs of students attempting to reserve a study room. A key for the study room will be given to the student and is expected to be returned after the two hour period. At the end of the two hour period, the study room must be emptied of all personal belongings and locked with the key. After doing so, the key must be returned to the circulation desk. 

After five minutes from the end of the two hours, late keys are charged a fine of $1.00 per minute. Non-returned keys are subject to a fine of $50. 

While the third floor of the library has ten study rooms, there are two all-purpose study rooms on the second floor that are accessible through a first come first serve basis.

In addition to its print and online collection, STL and study rooms, the library is home to the second largest Starbucks in a university campus on the east coast of the U.S.

The library Starbucks provides the same services and products that individuals may find at other locations, excluding coupon redemption. Functioning as both a place to grab a bite or beverage and to chill with peers, the library Starbucks is an essential part of the library that enhances the student experience on campus and furnishes students with a place relax after long hours of studying. The library Starbucks is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m.  

As listed above, the Nancy Thompson Library is more than just books. The Spreading-the-Word Scholarship Team, composed of librarians Craig Anderson, Janette Gonzalez and Chrisler Pitts, hopes that students would take advantage of every aspect of the library. The Spreading-the-Word Scholarship Team stated that individuals should take advantage of the library's collection of "...over 250 databases...that are available in a wide variety of disciplines" and its "the study rooms". 

Moreover, students should utilize the librarians themselves. The Spreading-the-Word Scholarship Team said, "the librarians provide students with over 132 research guides to assist with their academic work and research projects." The librarians are considerably helpful when it comes to doing research, projects and studying.   

In the fall and spring sessions, the library is open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m., Friday from 8 a.m. to 12:00 a.m., Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 12 a.m.

To access the library online, visit the library website.

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.Â