The Checklist For Safety

All Union campus students are required to complete the Campus Safety Checklist by October 3

Campus News > The Checklist For Safety
The Checklist For Safety

Kean University is an institution that values its students' safety. Steps continue to be taken to make Kean's campus safer and this fall, items that were once optional for all students are now necessary and required to help everyone know who is a member of the campus community and how the campus community members can be informed in the event of an emergency.

The Campus Safety Checklist consists of three items thousands of students have already optionally completed in previous semesters. These are the three items that all Kean University Union campus students must complete by October 3:

1. Obtain a Kean University student ID card.
  2. Obtain a parking decal, or opt-out of a parking if you do not bring a vehicle to Kean.
  3. Register for Campus Alert, Kean University's emergency notification system using your @kean.edu email address as your username.

With the exception of obtaining a student ID card, the items can be completed over the Internet. 

When entering Kean University, getting a student ID card is a right of passage - most students obtain their ID card while registering for classes for the first time. Student ID cards allow for quick identification and can allows students to feel a part of the Kean community. Student ID cards can also be used for meal plans and allow you to gain entry into Kean facilities, such as residence halls, fitness centers, computer labs and game rooms. Your student ID will also entitle you to free and discounted student event tickets.

The second item on the Campus Security Checklist is to either register your vehicle by obtaining a parking decal or officially opt-out of a parking decal if you do not bring your personal vehicle to campus. To either obtain a parking decal or opt-out of parking, please visit http://permits.kean.edu. This website will provide you with step-by-step instructions. If you are requesting a parking decal, be sure to have your vehicle information accessible because you will need to know your license plate number and vehicle identification number (VIN). Once you obtain your parking decal, which will be mailed to you within seven to ten days, your vehicle will be identifiable to our University Police officers so that they know it belongs parked on our campus. 

The Department of Public Safety and Police enforces the Kean University Parking Policies and unregistered student vehicles and vehicles of non-Kean patrons utilizing the Union Train Station will be ticketed. If a student's information changes, you can go back into the system and update the information to add a vehicle and request a parking decal. 

An important thing to note if you a freshman student living within the Kean University residence halls is that you are not permitted to have a vehicle on campus. Although a freshman resident cannot have a vehicle, they too must go into the parking decal system and officially opt-out by the deadline of October 3, 2017.

The last item on the Campus Security Checklist is to register for Campus Alert, the Kean University emergency notification system. Not only must you register, you must fully complete the two-step registration process and utilize your Kean University email address as your username. When setting up your Campus Alert account, community members will have the option to select their notification preferences during the second part of the registration. Notification options include SMS text message, emails and automated phone calls. If you really want to make sure you know what's going on in an emergency, you may select them all!

The Kean University Office of Student Accounting has developed a schedule of temporary help stations where students can go to obtain a student ID or get help with requesting a parking decal, or opting-out, and registering for Campus Alert. Help stations began operating on the first day of classes on September 5, and will continue until October 31. 

From Wednesday, September 20, through Tuesday, October 31, help stations will be setup in the Miron Student Center Monday through Thursday 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. The Office of Student Accounting, the primary location for obtaining a student ID card will continue to provide student ID cards and assistance. The Office of Student Accounting is open Monday through Thursday  8 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Fridays  8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Here is the most important part - if you are taking a class on the Union campus, you must complete these three checklist items by Tuesday, October 3. If you fail to complete these items, you will not be eligible for Winter and Spring 2018 course registration until the items are completed. In addition, after October 3, you may begin to receive parking tickets if your vehicle does not have a parking decal. 

If you are unsure of your Campus Safety Checklist you can view your status within the "Students Menu" in KeanWISE. A link for the Campus Safety Checklist is available within the "Communications" section of the "Students Menu" page. If you recently completed one of the checklist items, please be aware that it may take up to two business days for KeanWISE to reflect that you have complete it.

If you have questions about the Campus Safety Checklist you have a few resources available to you. The first option is a comprehensive webpage that provides details and step-by-step instructions at www.kean.edu/safety-checklist. The second option is to email the Campus Security Checklist support team at safetychecklist@kean.edu. If you feel you need in-person assistance, you may stop by one of the help stations, the Office of Student Accounting on the 3rd floor of the Administration Building or visit the Involvement Center located in Miron Student Center, room 303. The Involvement Center is open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. and Fridays 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. The Involvement Center can also be reached at 908-737-5270.

Take the initiative to have a safe experience at Kean!