Welcome To A New Year At Kean!

President Farahi outlines vision for the upcoming year and celebrates achievements

Campus News > Welcome To A New Year At Kean!
Welcome To A New Year At Kean!

President Farahi gave his Opening Day Address on Thursday, August 31, 2017, in Wilkins Theatre.

With the new school year commencing, Kean University students are preparing to tackle the new opportunities and activities involved in the 2017-2018 school year. Freshman can look forward to starting a new chapter in their lives and seniors can prepare to graduate and continue to succeed.

New and returning students can count on the annual President's Opening Address to guide them into a successful school year. Dr. Dawood Farahi, Kean University's President presented his address on Thursday August 31 at 10 a.m. in the Wilkins Theatre.

Upon starting the speech Dr. Farahi recognized and thanked the members of the Board of Trustees, Foundation Board, Liberty Hall, Vice Chair of Wenzhou-Kean University and President of Union County College. 

"May you live in interesting times," a Chinese saying Dr. Farahi introduced to the students and guests. Dr. Farahi then continued, "Some say it's a curse, some say it's a good lesson, but the fact is we do live in interesting times."

He understands that millions of students across the country are returning to college campuses for knowledge and opportunities, but also understanding, equality and justice. Dr. Farahi expresses his commitment to do everything he can do to better Kean University and provides its students with the best opportunities. Dr. Farahi understands that in order to have a strong institution there are two elements that play a role: financial stability of the institution and the involvement. 

Dr. Farahi then mentions the many outcomes that can come from the Class of 2020 and the remaining transfer and returning students this academic year. He also showed the dedication and desire that the new faculty has to ensure world class education for its students.

"2020 is one of the largest freshmen classes in the history of Kean University with 1,751 students. Thousands of transfer and returning students also join us today and it brings the total of the incoming class, for this academic year to 3,862 students and that includes 575 students that will be entering Wenzhou-Kean University. Today we also welcome 90 new faculties to the Kean University family and we will add 34 faculties this coming Spring."

To the audiences' surprise, Dr. Farahi revealed 14 acres would create 500 new parking spaces for students and faculty. "I am pleased to announce that this summer Kean University purchased those acres and will resolve all issues."

With world class education comes world class students and Dr. Farahi spoke of one student, Marvin Enderhart. He explained that Enderhart was a young immigrant who had never explored a commuter science class, but at Kean, he was the first one to receive a National Science Foundation Scholarship (NSFS).  Following speaking of his achievement Dr. Farahi skyped Enderhart and encouraged him to speak of his successes and future endeavors with the audience.

Dr. Farahi then speaks of Kean University's dream to ensure education for women and those of minorities expressing the pride in the New Jersey Center for Science, Technology and Mathematics (STEM) building. "More than 60 percent of the students in our STEM program are either women or minorities."

Dr. Farahi spoke of the courage to embrace and deliver world class education, facilities, faculty and programs to world savvy students at the most affordable price to build Kean University's reputation for being the most affordable, comprehensive university in New Jersey.

He then transitioned to showcasing the opportunities possible and the projects many former Kean students developed. In particular, Dr. Farahi showed videos of three popular Superbowl commercials that interested and surprised the audience, receiving an applause from them.

Dr. Farahi also brought light to the Liberty Hall Museum's discovery of lost wines by showing a video. Bill Schroh Jr, director of operations at Liberty Hall was interviewed about the findings in which he discovered Madeira wine 17th century. The video showed one of the many achievements and discoveries made at Kean University. 

Furthermore, Dr. Farahi encouraged the freshman and upperclassmen by speaking of Wenzhou-Kean University's graduation and the graduation on the main campus. Following his words, he played a video of both graduations. The audience was quiet taking in the various scenes of Wenzhou-Kean and its campus. 

After focusing on the achievements of the students and the departments Dr. Farahi spoke of the progress and of the Vision 2020 plan, which provides more outcomes for the future.

With the conclusion of his address came a thundering applause with guests chatting about the new developments to come.