James Davis Comes To Kean: This Is Hood Adjacent!

The popular comedian brings his hit Comedy Central TV show to the Kean Stage

Campus News > James Davis Comes To Kean: This Is Hood Adjacent!

The star of the hit show Hood Adjacent will deliver a stand-up performance for the Kean students, friends and Faculty at Wilkins Theater on Saturday, October 28th, 2017.

Marcus Van Diver

UPDATE: Hood Adjacent has been rescheduled for the Spring 2018 semester. Be on the look out for additional information!

Kean University will host the popular comedian James Davis, the star of the Comedy Central television show Hood Adjacent, Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. in Wilkins Theatre. 

Students, friends and faculty who attend will be treated to two hours of non-stop comedic fun from the stand-up act.

Hood Adjacent focuses on Davis' upbringing, growing up adjacent to the South Central Los Angeles neighborhoods composed of gangs and violence. Also, his life was adjacent to the impoverished neighborhoods, as his mother had signed him up to attend a mostly Caucasian private school and golf lessons at an exclusive country club. Davis then continued to enroll in college as an English major, but eventually left to pursue a career in acting.

He garnered national attention through portraying the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama, in short, funny and creative videos which led to an opportunity to work with the comedy website Funny or Die. There, he continued to create sketches that received a multitude of viewers. This led to newer roles with The Late Late Show with James Corden and a chance to work on the Black Entertainment Network (BET) hit show The Real Husbands of Hollywood, as well as a chance to be on comedian Nick Cannon's MTV show Wild N' Out. All of these shows and opportunities led up to Comedy Central giving Davis his own show, Hood Adjacent.

Davis' material will cover a majority of the issues that plague minority individuals in America. From police brutality, to the overall perception of Black people in America, Davis' jokes will not only make people laugh, but will help invoke the conversations that should happen among people of different backgrounds.

Additionally, he will speak on the merits of being a college student, and the current dehumanization and objectification of Black women in the mainstream media.

Those who wish to purchase a ticket can purchase them at the Wilkins Theater for $10 to $30 at the Kean Stage Box Office in Wilkins Theater. They can also be ordered by calling Kean Stage's official phone number at 908-737-7469 or on its website at www.keanstage.com     

Van Diver Marcus - web

Marcus Van Diver, Staff Writer
vandivem@kean.edu

Marcus Van Diver, a senior majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media, has been a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte since October of 2016. He has aspirations of working in the field of sports media and wishes to be a broadcaster, journalist or radio host for any major news corporation. His hobbies include, reading, exercising and playing sports. He is an avid fan of his New York Giants, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia Phillies and New York Rangers.