Mental Health Matters

A discussion on the stigma behind mental health

Campus News > Mental Health Matters
Mental Health Matters

Students can learn a lot about the stigmas of mental health

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Students are encouraged to join the Thirteen Reasons Why: Mental Health Matters event in the 3rd floor lounge of Whiteman Hall, Wednesday, Oct. 25. This is an important event that will get students talking and thinking about the crucial issue of mental health. 

The event gets its name from the book-turned TV show Thirteen Reasons Why. The show was a hit on Netflix, thanks to the platform of social media and its overall success. The show was also popular due to its depiction of serious issues such as suicide, depression, and sexual assault. 

As a result, Thirteen Reasons Why catalyzed necessary discussion on mental health, which overshadows its success. Senior Class President and Resident Assistant Tahjane Whitsett plans to continue this important discussion in Whiteman Hall.  

"At the event we’ll discuss the stereotypes and stigmas behind mental health," Whitsett mentioned.  "Many people think dealing with mental health issues make you “crazy” and it doesn’t. Many people are scared to speak up if they’re suffering because they don’t want to be labeled. I think as a society we need to embrace these people. We need to let them know that we are here for them and that there are resources out there."    

Moreover, students can benefit from this event in many ways. They can become more aware of mental health and the scope of its effects.  In addition, students can be more equipped to carry out conversations about mental health.

Whitsett continued, "This event is an open dialogue. As a community we need to make sure we are advocating for the rights of people with mental health illnesses. After taking Dr. Bowes Death Class it made me realize that it’s important that students are informed about mental health and the signs. Students should attend because we are all human and anyone of us could be affected by this."

When asked about why mental health awareness is important, Whitsett revealed that it is a topic dear to her heart.

"A few years ago a close friend of mine took his own life due to mental illness," Whitsett said. "Mental health awareness is important because it can affect anyone. We need to eliminate the stigma and my hope is that more people will come out and get help. People with mental health issues shouldn’t be shamed they should be supported!" 

Students are encouraged to stop by Whiteman Hall and join an important discussion about why mental health matters.

For more information, visit the event page on Cougar Link.

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.