School In The Winter

A guide to registering for winter session

Campus News > School In The Winter
School In The Winter

The Winter session can be a huge benefit for students looking to stay on track for graduation.

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Registration for winter session opens on Oct. 31, the same date as spring semester registration. Students who need to catch up on some courses to ensure that they graduate on time should be aware of how to register for the upcoming winter session.   

Winter session is a brief period where individuals can quickly run through a comprehensive course. It's perfect for students who need credits for graduation. Students who simply want to get some classes out of the way before spring semester are also encouraged to do so.

Winter session begins Jan. 2 and ends Jan.12. It is conveniently short so it will not drastically interfere with winter break or personal winter plans.

Classes offered during winter session are predominantly prerequisite courses. These are the courses that are mandatory to move on to higher level courses and to graduate. Prerequisites for many majors are available during winter session. 

Kean University makes these classes available to assist students in completing the necessary requirements and in moving them toward graduation. Many individuals find themselves running out of time to fill up their final credits before graduation. Other individuals simply want to get ahead on their credits. Whether an individual needs to fill up a final free elective or take that required 2000 level course, winter session is there for students across all majors.

The winter session courses are available at Kean University Main Campus and Kean Ocean in Toms River. Online courses are also viable options, and most do not require meeting in person. It is important to check KeanWise just to make sure.

KeanWise will be students' best friend come registration. It is important for students to familiarize themselves with KeanWise because it is the hub of all information relating to their collegiate career here at Kean. It is also the place where students can search for course sections and register come Oct. 31.

Although registration officially opens on Oct. 31, it is vital for students to check KeanWise for their exact registration dates. Students are allowed to register depending on how many credits they need. The registration dates can be accessed on the right side of KeanWise website, or simply click here.   

Students should also check to see if they have completed the Campus Security Checklist. This checklist includes obtaining a Kean University Student ID, registering for Campus Alert, and signing up for parking. The failure to complete this checklist will result in students' not being able to register for course sections. 

Lastly, students should make sure that all holds have been removed prior to registration. Visiting an assigned adviser is mandatory for registration. Thus, students should be sure to do that as soon as possible. Students can click on Student Restrictions on KeanWise to see if they have any remaining holds.

Winter session is a considerably important time for students. It can be a deciding factor in whether they can graduate on time or can take a next level course. Nonetheless, students should seriously consider winter session as an option for propelling them closer to graduation and their future.

For more information on registration and important winter session dates, visit the Office of the Registrar located in the Administration Builiding, 1st floor or call 908-737-3290. 

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.Â