Stroll Like an Alpha

Alpha Phi Alpha hosts their first annual strolling competition.

Campus Life > Stroll Like an Alpha
Stroll Like an Alpha
Brandon Gervais, Editor

Iota Rho chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha hosted its first annual strolling competition Wednesday, Nov. 15, inside Wilkens Theater from 8 to 10 p.m. The competition titled Stroll Like an Alpha allowed teams from Montclair University, New Jersey City Universit (NJCU) y, Bloomfield College, Rutgers University Newark and Kean University to perform choreographed dances, strolls and step performances to a packed crowd in Wilkins theater.

Strolling is a routine based performance consisting of written choreography, Greek moves and stepping that promotes Greek organizations. "Strolling would be doing signature moves of a fraternity to express and show the organization in a unique way" said Niah Simmons, Kean junior marketing major, who performed with the Kean team.

Before the event began, DJ Bake played music as the attendees flooded into the theater. The music, a combination of modern and classic hits, had the crowd dancing and singing while filing to their seats and greeting one another. 

The evening's hosts were Alpha Phi Alpha members, one being a student at NJCU and the other being a Kean alumnus. They opened the show with friendly banter about school rivalries and introduced all of the schools in attendance. The crowd consisted of students from Montclair University, New Jersey City University, Bloomfield College, Rutgers University Newark and Kean University. 

Montclair University opened up the competition followed by New Jersey City University. NJCU's performance knocked over DJ Bake's computer which stopped the music. While everything needed to be reset, the hosts of the evening quickly improvised entertainment. Singing popular and original songs with the audience. When everything was reset, NJCU was able to start their performance over and finish. Next was Rutgers University Newark, who's performance was done in S.W.A.T. vests. Then Kean University's Team Automatic performed.

"My favorite part of the night was going on stage and performing. So much practice and hard-work went into the performance," said Jada Miller, Kean sophomore business management major, performer, and president of Kean Dance Theater. " I love the environment of showing what I can do and what I can execute.... It was fun to come together with the girls and show what we worked together for."

After the first round of performances, came a short intermission. During this intermission the members of Alpha Phi Alpha performed their own strolls to the tracks provided by DJ Bake. The crowd continued to dance until the second round of performances began. 

"My favorite part of the night was when the guys came out during intermission to show their own strolls," said Iyanna Howard, Kean freshman. "The event was fantastic, the music was amazing, and it made me more aware of what Greek life is like and made me more excited to pledge next semester."

Following intermission each team performed once again in the same order, having Kean University close out the show. There were awards given to the top three groups. Third place went to Bloomfield College, second place went to Kean University and first was given to Rutgers University Newark. Second and third place were awarded medals and a pizza party and first was awarded a trophy.

"The ultimate goal of the night was to have a good time and create awareness of the activity and promote Iota Rho," said Caleb Lewis, junior global business major at Kean who helped organize the night and coach the Kean team. "proceeds from the night will go towards Kean Dance Marathon,... so many people contributed to the planning and organizing of the event and it was a great night of fun and excitement."

strolling.jpg

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.