Harvest For The Hungry

An opportunity to plant and harvest for those in need

Campus News > Harvest For The Hungry
Harvest For The Hungry

Grow-a-Row is a perfect volunteer opportunity that is there for those in need

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor

Students are encouraged to join the Center for Leadership and Service  (CLS) for the Grow-a-Row volunteer opportunity on Saturday, Nov. 18. from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Milford Farm. This is a perfect volunteer opportunity for anyone who likes to get their hands dirty in the great outdoors.

Grow-a-Row is an outdoor volunteer opportunity that will have students harvesting Milford farm to ultimately provide fresh produce for families in need. Students will be able to plant and harvest produce on this venture. Students are encouraged to wear clothes that they do not mind getting dirty. Moreover, it may be cool in the morning so it is important to dress accordingly. 

Beginning in 2002, Grow-a-Row has since expanded to provide a surplus of healthy produce for many food banks and food pantries in New Jersey. It has four sister locations in addition to its main location at Pittstown, NJ.  

Grow-a-Row is not only a volunteer organization that provides fresh produce to those in need by planting and harvesting farms, but it also educates individuals about hunger. It teaches adults and adolescents how to help fight against hunger, and how to partake in a healthy eating lifestyle.  

Once again, students are encouraged to partake in Grow-a-Row. It will be a fun opportunity that does not come around as often as the other volunteer opportunities offered by CLS. Grow-a-Row is heavily dependent on volunteers, so students can play a huge role in making differences in the lives of those who are stricken by hunger or stuck in times of need. 

For more information on Grow-a-Row and other ways to contribute to the organization, visit their website.  

To register for this event, visit the event page on Cougar Link. Spaces are limited so it is important to sign up as soon as possible. 

For more information, please contact the Center for Leadership and Service, located in Miron Student Center room 219, by calling 908-737-5170, or by emailing us at serve@kean.edu.     

Caleb Lopez - Web

Caleb Lopez, Senior Editor
lopezcal@kean.edu

Caleb Lopez is the Senior Editor of The Cougar's Byte. Caleb joined the staff as a Staff Writer in May 2017. Currently in his junior year, Caleb is a psychology major with a minor in biology. In the rare moments when he is not vigorously studying, Caleb loves to spend his time indulging in sports, music and food—especially Chick-fil-a.Â