Design For Life: Author Ian Volner Comes to Kean!

The author responsible for writing the biography on the life of designer Michael Graves visits Kean for a book signing

Campus News > Design For Life: Author Ian Volner Comes to Kean!

The author of Michael Graves' first biography will be present at Kean to sign copies his book on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017.

Marcus Van Diver

Author of the biography "Michael Graves: Design for Life", Ian Volner, will be making an official visit to Kean University on Thursday, Nov. 16. At noon, Volner will be signing copies of his book in room 406 of the Green Lane Academic Building (GLAB) for students, faculty, and fans.

The first biography written about Graves focuses on the life and times of the legendary designer who the Kean University's undergraduate and graduate architecture and design program is named after. Volner's other contributions include architectural and design articles that were published in the New York Times (NYT), Wall Street Journal (WSJ) the New Republic and another biography on Frank Lloyd Wright, another innovative architect and designer. 

Currently, the author is working as a design writer for the Wall Street Journal and an editor for The New Yorker Online and Architectural Digest. The biography explains the creative mind of Graves and his many product designs, such as the Portland building in Oregon and the Swan Hotels in Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. 

A man who brought pleasure to millions of people through his designing ability and a worldwide influence to the process of designing, Volner's biography is more human-based, with multiple interviews with Graves' family, colleagues and close friends who knew him the best.

Graves was also widely regarded as a winner of the American Institutes of Architecture's Gold Medal, the AIA's highest reward that has been rewarded to architects who have left a lasting influence on the theory and practice of architecture. He is also a recipient of the National Medal of the Arts, the Topaz Medallion and the Driehaus Prize for Architecture, equally rewarded to those who have pushed the boundaries of design and architecture to influence the future generations.    

Within room 406 of the Green Lane Building, the Michael Graves College (MGC) Dean David Mahoney, along with MGC Principal Karen Nichols, will join Ian Volner in an open conversation about the life of Michael Graves and the task of creating the most relatable and accurate life story about one of the most influential designers that the world had ever seen. 

Students and faculty will also be able to ask questions about the designer's life and Volner's experiences with knowing the creator, completely free of cost.  

For more information on the event, visit the Michael Graves College's official website. Also, those interested are more than welcome to enjoy the day's festivities and meet the author of the biography through face-to-face conversation from noon to 1 p.m.

Van Diver Marcus - web

Marcus Van Diver, Staff Writer
vandivem@kean.edu

Marcus Van Diver, a senior majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media, has been a Staff Writer for The Cougar’s Byte since October of 2016. He has aspirations of working in the field of sports media and wishes to be a broadcaster, journalist or radio host for any major news corporation. His hobbies include, reading, exercising and playing sports. He is an avid fan of his New York Giants, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia Phillies and New York Rangers.