With Knowledge and PRIDE: Activities at Kean

There are many activities residential students can get involved in

Campus Life > With Knowledge and PRIDE: Activities at Kean

PRIDE is full with open hearts and minds!

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor

Kean University is known for its ability to bring awareness to issues in the United States and all over the world. 

One way the campus does this is through its clubs and activities on campus like PRIDE, which is an LGBTQ club that is based on-campus in the residence halls.  PRIDE meets each Monday from 9 to 10:30 p.m. in the New Upper Multipurpose Room.

PRIDE.jpg

PRIDE strives to promote acceptance, education and fun at their weekly meetings!

Regina L. Wickline, a full time staff at the Residential Student Services who oversees the club, had a lot to speak about in regard to the background of the club and why it is important at Kean.

"PRIDE began meeting in the residence halls in the Spring of 2016! We hold PRIDE in remembrance of Michelle White-Yates who passed away in August of 2016. Michelle began a PRIDE group in her undergrad at Kean in the 2000s. Michelle promoted a sense of family among the LGBT+ community that was truly inclusive," Wickline explained. "We meet once a week. This semester we meet Mondays at 9 p.m. in the New Upper Multipurpose Room!" 

PRIDE seeks to provide a safe space for conversations about many topics that affect the LGBTQ community and those around them. Many conversations range from coming out, stigma around bisexuality and many more.

"So far we've discussed: Coming Out, Stigma around bisexuality, Labels (if you label yourself and why - if you do not label yourself), Meditation/Mental Health Care, Consent, Crafts (DIY Face masks, stress balls, lip scrubs, etc.), sexuality panel, stereotypes within and outside of the community," Wickline mentioned.

PRIDE also understands the importance of being active around campus and hosting events to showcase issues that are relevant to them or to bring in guest speakers who may have an impact on the student body.

"We worked with Student Government and Equality for All to have a keynote speaker - Ryan Sallans on October 10, 2017 from 2 to 5 p.m. in Little Theater. He came to speak about his journey transitioning from his female assigned body to his real self," said Wickline. "LGBT visibility is important on all platforms! Students who feel seen, understood, accepted, and safe are more likely to flourish in their environments. Visibility and a safe place for students to meet and learn about their gender and sexuality should always be available on a college campus. We have a large amount of allies that come to PRIDE, too, so it really is a welcoming space for all!" Wickline said. 

Wickline acknowledged the many students who put effort into the club and make sure that topics are chosen and that each student feels safe and comfortable, all in a fun environment.

"I have quite a few students that make PRIDE possible! Alexa Martinez, a junior studying interior design and architecture; Alysha Wilson, a junior studying marketing with a social media minor; Biasia Young, a junior studying public administration with a marketing minor; Camille Flim, a sophomore studying accounting; Danie Cunningham, a senior studying music with an ASL minor; Daniela Moncada, a senior studying speech pathology with an ASL minor; Dannyele Crawford, a senior studying music education; Paola Duran, a senior studying physical education and health; Victoria Resto, a junior studying psychology with a minor in health; Vistor Suarez, a senior with biotechnology; Kiara Young, a senior studying earth science; and Jada Gillbert, a sophomore studying psychology and psychiatric rehabilitation are a part of our team to make sure each week there is a fun, interactive program in place," Wickline said.

Jonathan Solovei, a junior studying political science and Rebecca Franco, sophomore studying elementary education spoke of the reasons as to why and how they were introduced to the club. They also mentioned how PRIDE plays a role in the Kean community.

Solovei: I'd heard about the club from a friend. I joined because it seemed like something that would be beneficial to do. I feel as though, for the LGBTQ community, it plays a good role as being somewhere to be absolutely safe. However, I wish it had a bigger role with the whole university community. 

Franco: I originally went because a friend wanted to go but I ended up staying because I found myself in a place where it's easier to feel like you are being a part of somewhere. If you have no where to go, whether you are a part of the LGBTQ community or not, it's a safe space where you can go and vent your feelings about anything. It plays a role because it really is a place where if you feel like an outcast or you don't fit in, PRIDE is a place where no matter who you are you can go and feel better.

Franco and Solovei both agreed that they got good outcomes when going to the meetings and that PRIDE is a great place to meet people of similar interests.

Solovei: The club has helped me mainly by being a source of information about things in the community I was unsure of or unaware of. I have learned a good amount from various meetings.

Franco: I gained a lot of friends there, which I am so thankful for. Also, I feel a sense of completion now that I have my academic life at Kean. I have friends I can go to as well."

Issues dealing with equality or lack there of are important to the campus because Kean wants its students to be aware, active and understanding. 

Solovei: I think it is important because LGBTQ issues are everyone's issues, in that the community exists everywhere you look, and it shouldn't be ignored or marginalized.

Franco: It's good to bring light to topics now that marriage equality has been approved. Being open about equality or not is acceptable. It's a good place to find friends and to keep them.

Both students want other students to know that PRIDE is a place that accepts conversations and opinions.

Solovei: I think the club is a good thing, a safe place, and does a wonderful job of talking about not only LGBTQ issues, but also about general issues, like dealing with stress.

Franco: Both the conversations and the atmosphere and the people encouraged me to stay because of how welcoming they are and happy they are to relate to people. Whether you go to PRIDE or not, PRIDE is a great place to be a part of."

Wickline wants all students to know that they are welcome and that the group wants to promote acceptance and education for the Kean community. If students have any questions they can rwicklin@kean.edu for more information.

Petruce Jean Charles - Web

Petruce Jean-Charles, Editor
jeanchap@kean.edu

Petruce Jean-Charles is a senior majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. In Spring 2017 she joined The Cougar's Byte staff. She is goal-driven and dedicated to accomplishing her goals, where she wishes to work for successful companies like Huffington Post or The Washington Post. In her free time, she enjoys listening to different artists and watching new horror and thriller movies.