Cuts for a Cause

Sigma Beta Chi and Nu Delta Pi offered hair cutting services to those who participated in No-Shave November

Campus Life > Cuts for a Cause
Cuts for a Cause
Brandon Gervais, Editor

Tuesday, Dec. 5, the members of Sigma Beta Chi and Nu Delta Pi offered hair cutting and shaving services for $10 in the Greek Lounge of the Miron Student Center. The event served as a follow-up fundraiser to No-Shave November, a national wide movement that spreads cancer awareness. The proceeds are going towards the Children's Specialized Hospital in Mountainside, New Jersey. 

No-Shave November is a 30-day national campaign where participants choose to not shave, in an effort to raise cancer awareness. The idea is to donate the money that would've went towards grooming to cancer research, awareness and education, but even just the act of not shaving is appreciated for the cause.

"I am emotionally connected to my hair and when I was young, I would donate it. It was breast cancer awareness month when I thought of the idea. I thought of the idea that we have people cut hair for a cause and No-Shave November was perfect," said Caterina Cordeiro, member of Sigma Beta Chi, Kean sophomore, mastermind of the idea.

cutsforacause2.jpg

"My little sister has cerebral palsy, so I understand what it is like to be in a hospital similar to the Children's Specialized Hospital from visiting," said Victoria Orsini, elementary education and sociology double major, senior at Kean and president of Sigma Beta Chi. "We are really excited people have come out and are participating. It's hard sometimes to get people to come and support new kinds of fundraising. Also, we love working with other organizations on projects. Nu Delta Pi has been a great help because No-Shave November is mostly done by men, so the fraternity has helped a lot."

Sigma Beta Chi worked with Nu Delta Pi in the planning and organizing of an event that both honored those who participated in No-Shave November and also supported another cause. The hairdressers who participated were friends of the organization who donated their time.

"I am Vice President of Nu Delta Pi and figured if we are co-sponsoring an event we should have a brother actually participate. My family has a history of testicular cancer, so No-Shave November is an important cause for me. Having this haircut/shaving event for those who participated in helping raise money for a good cause and show appreciation for those who actively participated in an entirely other good cause," said Scott "Marius" Price, vice president of Nu Delta Pi, Kean sophomore, "the experience was pleasant, the brothers of Nu Delta Pi and the sisters of Sigma Beta Chi were friendly as always and the hairstylists made me feel like I was gonna get a good cut, even though it was only $10."

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.