#KeanGives for #GivingTuesday

Kean University Foundation raises money to be donated in celebration of #GivingTuesday, a global day of giving

Campus News > #KeanGives for #GivingTuesday
#KeanGives for #GivingTuesday
Brandon Gervais, Editor
Giving Tuesday 2017 Fundraising Thermometer

Tuesday Nov. 28, The Kean University Foundation participated in Giving Tuesday by raising money for the Kean University Relief Fund. In 24 hours, they were able to raise $7,060 to be donated towards the relief of areas and individuals of the Kean community, that have been hit with natural disasters in the past couple of months.

As the holiday season goes on, it is important to acknowledge those who are less fortunate. Celebrated the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, Giving Tuesday is a kick-off to a charitable holiday season. Giving Tuesday is a recently established global day of giving that follows well-known shopping days, Black Friday and Cyber Monday to start the holiday season. The goal of this day is to promote and encourage giving. Predominately an online campaign, Giving Tuesday is able to raise millions of dollars for different campaigns and causes ever year all around the world.

The Kean University Relief Fund was originally founded in 2012 to aid individuals affected by Superstorm Sandy. Now the fund continues to help with disaster relief both natural and otherwise. The Foundation and Relief Fund specifically helps the Kean community including alumni, faculty, staff and students.

"Over the past few months we have received dozens of phone calls from alumni and students who were seeking some assistance after Hurricanes Harvey and Maria.  As a community we wanted to help those who were seeking our assistance.  I know that there have been numerous drives on campus to send goods to the areas that were affected.  As a community we want to help and that is why we created the Kean University Relief Fund.  This fund will support alumni, student, faculty and staff who have experienced a disaster," said Alissa Di Scala, Director of Alumni Relations, "Giving Tuesday is a day for giving back during the Thanksgiving holiday; when so many are purchasing gifts for family and friends.  I feel Giving Tuesday is a wonderful day to promote the importance of philanthropy.  I have been sending Giving Tuesday messages out for a few years and never have I seen such a generous response.  I think more people are seeing how their impact can be made on Giving Tuesday and throughout the year."

The donation page for the Kean University Relief Fund allowed donators to submit a variety of different amounts that would go towards their cause. The set goal on the page is $5,000 and amazingly in only 24 hours, Kean supporters have raised over $7,000. The option to donate is still open and available to anyone who wishes to contribute.

If you are feeling charitable this holiday season and would like to donate, the campaign will last until December 31, donations are accepted at keanlift.kean.edu/keanrelief.

Brandon Gervais - web

Brandon Gervais, Editor
gervaisb@kean.edu

Brandon Gervais is a junior English education double major. Brandon works as an Editor for The Cougar’s Byte and originally joined the staff as a Staff Writer in November 2017. He is a part of the Leadership Institute as a Gold leader and has worked as a New Student Orientation Leader. In his free time, he is a performer for a world class independent competitive color guard team and coaches the Union High School Color Guard.